Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Pets

Old November 4th, 2016, 08:02 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Rescue an old dog?

My friend sent me a message asking for help in finding a home for an old dog.

The dog is at the end of his life-span. He was dropped off at a shelter with numerous health issues but without any diagnosis. He would need numerous tests, but my own dog experience says his problems are age related.

Someone did rescue the dog, but I did not. I would not have surrendered the dog in the first place; I would have put the dog to sleep. I suspect that's what the family had expected when they surrendered the dog. Perhaps they couldn't afford the fees?

So, would you rescue an elderly dog? Do you have something against euthanizing animals?
Old November 4th, 2016, 03:02 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rescue an old dog?

Well, I can say what I *think* I'd do, but then when the rubber hits the road I'm not sure that I'd follow through.

I had two cats die last year (*cries*) and my only remaining cat is an old cat. My plan, when she dies eventually, is to adopt an older cat (or cats, depending on the circumstances) from the shelter. I love kittens, of course, and love having cats but I also don't feel I'm ready to "replace" the two that died. So my plan is to ease back in to cat ownership (if there is such a thing - I think cats consider people as their staff rather than their owners) by giving comfort to older cats who have been abandoned until I feel ready to start over with a kitten.

That's the PLAN.

So yes, if I were a dog person and didn't already have an old cat who hates other animals, at this point in my life I'd rescue an older dog.

I don't really have an opinion on pet euthanasia. Every pet I have ever owned has died a natural, quick death. I feel very fortunate about that. Part of me thinks I could never make that decision to have my pet put to sleep, but then the people I know who have had it done honestly did their pet a kindness. I think there might be a big difference between cats and dogs with that. Dogs seem to be more miserable being old and in failing health than cats do.
Old November 4th, 2016, 03:32 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rescue an old dog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayKay View Post
I think there might be a big difference between cats and dogs with that. Dogs seem to be more miserable being old and in failing health than cats do.
I think this is true. My cat was sick for a long time before we knew it. He died a natural death.

My dog slowly deteriorated. He was 16. He was on heavy steroids which resulted in a painful abscess in his eye which would never heal. He was incontinent. We had to put him to sleep. He was never going to get better and he was in constant pain.