Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Around the House > Other

Other General household discussions.

Old February 28th, 2017, 12:58 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Fixing my washing machine

My machine started making a funny noise when it drained.

I did some reading online and thought I'd give the DIY repair a try. I opened the front, removed and cleaned the drain pump, and put it back together. It took about 30 minutes.

It's still making a funny noise.

But now I know I can order the part and replace it myself!

P.S. Front load washers have a strainer basket. If you're having an issue with smell, I highly advise you clean it.
Old February 28th, 2017, 03:47 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fixing my washing machine

So proud of you Lucy! Front loading washers also have a hose by the strainer basket in case you have to drain the water from the tub on an emergency basis. Ask me how I know. LOL.

My almost-one-year-old washing machine has stopped draining water out of the fabric softener dispenser. It is covered under warranty, but I have half a mind to figure out how to fix it myself. I looked online and it doesn't seem hard, and that is more appealing to me than trying to figure out how to get a repair done under warranty and having to wait around for a stranger to come fix it. For now I bought a turkey baster, but I think you may have inspired me!
Old February 28th, 2017, 03:57 PM

Annsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond repute

Not all front loading washing machines have a draining hose neat the filter. Ask ME how I know! 😑

I've given up trying to pull this great big heavy thing forward to tip it back at an angle and let the water pour into a bucket! If only I could justify a new waking machine. Currently under warranty and I get an engineer out who practically last time changed everything but the shell!
There’s one major problem with giving grandparents legal access to their grandchildren. People who inflicted verbal, physical and sexual abuse on their children are then given access to inflict trauma on yet another generation. ~ Wayne and Tamara
Old February 28th, 2017, 04:04 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annsdil View Post
Not all front loading washing machines have a draining hose neat the filter. Ask ME how I know! ��

I've given up trying to pull this great big heavy thing forward to tip it back at an angle and let the water pour into a bucket! If only I could justify a new waking machine. Currently under warranty and I get an engineer out who practically last time changed everything but the shell!

Oh Anns! I'm so sorry! I wish you had a draining hose too. Can the engineer not fix the machine? The manufacturer should give you a new one!!
Old February 28th, 2017, 04:42 PM

Annsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond repute

Oh it's working fine now. ☺ Although initially the engineer came to replace the drum as it sounded like a Boeing 747 was trying to land in my kitchen. Around 30 mins after he'd left having replaced drum, door seal and an electric board I'd put my first load of washing in and flooded the kitchen! 😑

Although i phoned them again immediately they couldn't catch the engineer. Took almost a week for him to return and he then replaced the hosing at the back and the filter and something else. That's when I realised I couldn't move the darn thing because I'd wanted to drain the drum quickly! 🙄
There’s one major problem with giving grandparents legal access to their grandchildren. People who inflicted verbal, physical and sexual abuse on their children are then given access to inflict trauma on yet another generation. ~ Wayne and Tamara
Old February 28th, 2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annsdil View Post
Oh it's working fine now. ☺ Although initially the engineer came to replace the drum as it sounded like a Boeing 747 was trying to land in my kitchen.
Ohhhh... I know that noise! That's exactly why we ended up with a new washer! In our case, the machine wasn't covered by warranty so it was cheaper to buy a new one than to fix the old one.
Old March 1st, 2017, 05:43 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

I also do not have a draining hose, and I have to remove the front panel to get to the strainer, but it is an older model.

The fabric softener thing stopped draining within the first year. The fix seems easy enough, but I didn't do it. Instead, I just removed the little cup that holds the fabric softener and use dryer sheets. But maybe I'll fix it when I replace the pump.

They are heavy when they are full of water, Anns. You may be small and mighty, but they are impossible to move!
Old March 1st, 2017, 05:56 AM

Definitely! Not so easy when empty and tightly fitted between two cupboards either! 😀
Old March 13th, 2017, 10:45 PM

Did your part come in, Lucy?
Old March 14th, 2017, 06:25 AM

Oh, yes! It came in a few days after I ordered it and I replaced the pump in 30 minutes! And I fixed the fabric softener dispenser, too. Turned out the water holes were clogged so the dispenser was clearing.