Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > In-laws

Old May 25th, 2017, 08:42 AM

Cannoka is on a distinguished road
In-Laws Anniversary Party

My in-laws are super nice people so I don't have anything to complain about here but we are in a pickle about their upcoming anniversary party.

We are hard working people but count every penny in order to get by.
The in-laws anniversary party is being held at a fancy restaurant (arranged by the wealthier siblings) and we just found out guests are responsible for paying $40 EACH to attend.

My hubby is besides himself and we know we just cannot let go of $80 for food we honestly don't even like.

He said we may have to skip it which I am ok with but how to let his parents know without them getting upset?
Old May 25th, 2017, 11:44 AM

yaya is on a distinguished road
Re: In-Laws Anniversary Party

What if you arrived just for desert, or to have a drink towards the end of the meal? That way, you can make an appearance and lift a glass, without spending money you don't have on an expensive meal.
Old May 25th, 2017, 01:40 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: In-Laws Anniversary Party

Yaya's suggestion is good. If that doesn't work, simply send your regrets without explanation and a gift acknowledging their anniversary. You could also write a heartfelt letter thanking them for being a good example of marriage with an example of how they have helped you and what a good job they did raising your husband to be an loving and responsible man. I suspect that letter would make everything okay because you would be focusing on what's really important-- the relationship, not the restaurant.