Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Parents

Old July 1st, 2017, 12:42 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: arrrgggg! DM

I'm sorry. Make sure you put that on your list for her doctor.
Old July 1st, 2017, 01:42 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if DH heard the entire exchange in the kitchen .... I want to get an independent view point.

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old July 1st, 2017, 02:01 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Well, tbh with you I catch myself doing the same speech patterns with my kids ("You need to..." and "You should..."). Not that I'm defending it. It's wrong, and I'm trying to change because my kids are young adults and I can't tell them what they need to do like I did when they were young and clueless and likely would have left ice cream sandwiches on the counter rather than putting them in the freezer.

If it were just that, I'd say that she was tired from her excursion to the store (and big hugs to your DH for taking her!) and snappy.

The part that I think signals something more is that she mimicked you and called you mean.

After I read your original post, I wondered to myself if your DM will eat the food now. I'm wondering if she isn't using food as a way to control something, since it doesn't seem like she controls anything.

(((hugs)))
Old July 1st, 2017, 02:32 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

I've noticed that DM exaggerates things- I don't know if she's always been this way and I never noticed as a kid, or if this is something that developed as she's aged.

for example the battery in her scooter is shot... she initially claimed it wasn't worth replacing as it would cost about as much as she paid for the scooter in the first place (thousands)

- later, she said it cost less (hundreds)

- now she says it should be around $100 +

Old July 1st, 2017, 02:37 PM
future crazy cat lady

'nother example

I was plucking her eyebrows for her (& I was probably a little OCD/obnoxious about it). I cut back a lot on frequency. The last time I asked if she wanted me to do it, she went off on me on how it'd been 3-4 months since I'd done it (it'd probably been about a month, max). I told her she could have asked ... I don't remember her response.

I haven't asked her since.

Old July 1st, 2017, 02:40 PM
future crazy cat lady

I just googled the early signed of dementia and it sounds like DM has several...

Old July 1st, 2017, 03:42 PM

Definitely time to tell her doctor, and your siblings.