Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Children

Old October 2nd, 2017, 04:07 AM

Carrol is on a distinguished road
cheaper to buy from one store/shop?

Hello,

I am a married wife, a mother of two and also pregnancy, so number three will be there in about six month. As you all know a familiy of five leads to much costs. So we try to reduce them through buying cheap. Now I found a Website were I will be able to get all the stuff I need for the Baby when it is born. In my opinion buying there is much cheaper than driving to several stores for getting all the neede stuff. My husband doesn´t not agree. He thinks we have to buy anyway at the stores and my argumet of better quality in baby products isn´t an issue for him. Is he right? What are your experiences with online-shops for baby-products.
Old October 2nd, 2017, 04:53 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: cheaper to buy from one store/shop?

I'm hoping this isn't an advertisement for a website as that is a bannable offense.

In the hope that this was a real question, what is better-- to shop in stores or online? The questions is the same if we're talking about baby items or tech gear.

It depends on the product, quality, and total price. If you're saving money on the same quality product but paying extra for shipping, it might not be worth it. But time and gas also are a cost to factor in. Sometimes the convenience of having it delivered is worth the shipping.
Old October 3rd, 2017, 02:49 AM

Annsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond repute

I start by browsing online to the things I want. That way I can also look at the various reviews and compare prices whilst at home. Then I compare prices online and in local stores, taking into account any shipping costs. I also belong to a cash back scheme so I look at which of the retailers may offer the cashback and see if the cashback makes it any cheaper.

If you are purchasing from shops then you need to take into account whether what you save on the cost by shopping at various places is going to be eaten up in travel costs.

There is no right or wrong answer, you have to decide each purchase on their own merits.
There’s one major problem with giving grandparents legal access to their grandchildren. People who inflicted verbal, physical and sexual abuse on their children are then given access to inflict trauma on yet another generation. ~ Wayne and Tamara
Old October 3rd, 2017, 02:55 PM

Carrol is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annsdil View Post
I start by browsing online to the things I want. That way I can also look at the various reviews and compare prices whilst at home. Then I compare prices online and in local stores, taking into account any shipping costs. I also belong to a cash back scheme so I look at which of the retailers may offer the cashback and see if the cashback makes it any cheaper.

If you are purchasing from shops then you need to take into account whether what you save on the cost by shopping at various places is going to be eaten up in travel costs.

There is no right or wrong answer, you have to decide each purchase on their own merits.
That takes a lot of time, though, doesn't it? Can't it be better to order online once a month and save on shipping costs by using the quantity of items purchased? Or do the shipping costs change for larger orders? Or is it perhaps better to buy the things here on site? With my first two children I always picked it up at the local supermarket. However, an acquaintance thought that the possibility of online shopping would be much cheaper and for this reason I am not sure what would really be better.

Last edited by Carrol; October 4th, 2017 at 06:19 AM.
Old October 3rd, 2017, 05:14 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrol View Post
That takes a lot of time, though, doesn't it? Can't it be better to order online once a month and save on shipping costs by using the quantity of items purchased? Or do the shipping costs change for larger orders? Or is it perhaps better to buy the things here on site? With my first two children I always picked it up at the local supermarket. However, an acquaintance thought that the possibility of online shopping would be much cheaper and for this reason I am not sure what would really be better.
You are presupposing that you will use all of the items you order, at a regular pace, and can have the goods available when you need them. With babies, who grow and change daily, that is not a good assumption.

I love shopping at a particular warehouse store, but I have learned that it is not cheaper in the long run if half of what I bought ends up given away (we don't need it all or end up not liking it) or in a landfill.

Check it out for yourself, as Annsdil suggests. You may find some things that are worth buying online and some things that aren't.
Old October 4th, 2017, 08:10 AM
for President

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

I know several people who buy online. One person even orders paper towels and toilet paper online. I prefer to go to the store. Not that I don't order online... I just prefer getting out.