Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Health and Wellness > Reproduction and Pregnancy

Reproduction and Pregnancy Discuss issues related to Reproduction and Pregnancy

Old September 10th, 2008, 03:21 PM

Oogie is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Breaking waters...

I just wanted to know if any one has personally experiences this or knows someone that has - please share your stories...

19 weeks into my first (so far healthy) pregnancy it felt as if I had wet myself... I was admitted to hospital and after investigation they said that I had a tear in the amniotic sac and the fluid had "come out" - Babies need this fluid - it is vital to all aspects of the develepment esp lungs - at this stage my litte girls lungs had hardly matured. So after a horrific shock that my baby who still had a perfect little heartbeat and was already perfectly formed was inevitably not going to make it. The fluid is reproduced all the time but the tear in the sac could not be repaired. I cannot go into muvh more detail now as it is an incredibly painful subject and very raw within my heart... most days I just pretend it was all a nightmare...

At the time my gynae could not tell us how/why/what happened and I stil have many questions. - this is why I am asking x

Last edited by Oogie; September 10th, 2008 at 04:16 PM.
Old September 10th, 2008, 05:46 PM

nonnymouse will become famous soon enough
Re: Breaking waters...

I am so sorry, Oogie. You lost your daughter? I cannot imagine your heartbeak, Oggie. What a painful experience.

I know only what I learned about this in during my second pregnancy, I discussed this with my midwife and her experience was that with rest these breaks can heal on there own (sometimes). I had had a small loss of water that I thought was not pee so we talked about this. I had no feever or discomfort so I wasn't sure if it was a problem or not. It was not actually an on going issue for me. As you said, the fluids are continually replaced. So the danger would be more from the tear not healing or infection. Having no vaginal exams so as to not be introducing anything infection causing to the vaginal area was the normal procedure for her practice. That is all the information I can rememer.

I am so sorry, Oggie.

Last edited by nonnymouse; September 10th, 2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old September 10th, 2008, 07:04 PM

latelearner will become famous soon enough

Hi Oogie,

First off, I am so sorry. How horrible. I did not have that issue with any of my pregnancies, however, my cousin recently lost her twins at 20 weeks, 5 days due to what sounds like what happened to you. She was scheduled for a cerclage (sp?) to help keep her cervix closed because she was having twins and has the ultrasound done the night previously to ensure everything was fine - and it was - strong heartbeats and also, the knowledge that it was a boy and a girl.

So, day comes and they prepare for the cerclage. Except everything went crazy when the doctors noticed the liquid, quick ultrasound, only one heartbeat, quick test on the amniotic fluid - infection and she lost her little girl next.

So, the next twenty-four hours were hell on earth, (I'm sorry that you had a similiar experience) and then, the confusion, the pain, and then the anger. My cousin was beside herself trying to understand what happened. Her doctors told her that she had something that managed to get into her uterus and caused an infection which affected the amniotic fluid which caused her son to die and then, it was too late and her daughter soon followed. And it happened super quick - no warning, no prevention, that the cerclage wouldn't have prevented in from happening etc. She still is not satisfied with the answer. She just can't wrap her head (and heart) around what happened. From healthy, strong heart beats to the loss of her children. It is just so unfair.

I am so sorry Oogie and I wish I could help more than this second hand type of information . I don't know of anyone else this happened to except my cousin and now you. I hope my cousin's story doesn't hurt you further, I just wanted to tell you what her doctor's told her.

Last edited by latelearner; September 10th, 2008 at 07:06 PM. Reason: for clarification
Old September 10th, 2008, 07:44 PM

1dilwhosreal will become famous soon enough

oogie, I'm so sorry for your loss. I wish there were some way to ease your pain. ((((((hugs)))))
Old September 10th, 2008, 10:06 PM

april is on a distinguished road

Oogie, I am so sorry! It is extremely painful, I know. My second pregnancy was lost similar way (but not exactly). 15 weeks ultrasound was perfect. Then we came to 21 weeks ultrasound and there was virtually no fluid! First they suspected damage to amniotic sac, but there was none. Turned out the baby's kidney's did not develop properly and the baby did not produce the amniotic fluid. They said baby had no chances and my choice was either to terminate the pregnancy or wait for a miscarrieage and major bleeding.

I know, the pain is always with you and does not go away. In my case I very quickly became pregnant again (within 4 months). You asked me on another thread how I am doing now. So far so good, 32 weeks pregnant. The problems did not repeat. The watch me very closely and so far they are happy with the proggress. So one good thing I can say so far: it seems the pregnancies are very different from one another, even with the same woman. So I sure youyr problem will not repeat with your new pregnancy when you become pregnant.
Old September 11th, 2008, 01:20 AM

Flicka is on a distinguished road

Hey, I am really feeling with you and sending you lots of good thoughts and hope. Hope, because also I lost my first child 13 years ago and I know how painful this is. The worse thing for me was that my doctor told me itŽs important for my body to recover so that another pregnancy wasnŽt allowed within the next 6 months. My mind was set on babies and pregnancies and as my best girlfriend got pregnant during the time I was trying to recover, I couldnŽt bare to see her.
My sorrow also influenced my marriage as I had the feeling I was left alone and that it was much easier for my husband to recover. Everybody told me "there will be a next time" but it really didnŽt help me at that point.
My body recovered and 6 months later I got pregnant with my wonderful daughter, who now is 12 years old and that was the only thing that ever helped me to get over it: my new baby. During this pregnancy I had to stay a week at the hospital because in the 26th week it all started too soon, but with surgery they could slow down the birthprocess.
When bad and sad things happen in life you are not able to understand them. Some things you never will understand, but some things also change positively and youŽll get a new chance. Grab this new chance as soon as possible even if the sorrow tears you apart and it will take time to handle it. I canŽt say that youŽll ever forget it but I know that everybody deserve another opportunity. And youŽll get yours. Please, donŽt give up!
Old September 11th, 2008, 02:28 PM

Hiya - yes all of this happened 2 and a half years ago, like you flicka I was told to wait 6 months but DH and I were desperate. It was ironic because the pregnancy was unplanned and quite a shock, and just when we were getting used to the idea and excitement of an ever growing bump we lost the baby so it was a real rollercoaster of emotions in a very short time period. I was in hospital on rest for 2 weeks as they hoped the fluid will build up again but it never did and so the baby could not survive.

We did not want to wait 6 months... by then I was desperate and extremely jealous of any pregnant/new mothers!!! why them and not me??? however within about 3 months I was blessed to be pregnant again it was an excrutiating time as I knew how sensitive our unborn babies are and how easily it can all be taken away - at 12 weeks I had a threatened miscarriage and was put on strict bedrest for 8 weeks -- i.e toilet only. DH and family had to do everything imagineable for me... cut a long story short my beautiful and precious baby girl was born in May last year.
Thank you all for the kind words I have gone totally off track now but the main point of this thread was to find out info of this "phenomena" that occurs in some women and some pregnancies.Apparently the doctos/gynae don't have any answer it isjust an awful thing that hapens... I cannot imagine my life without my daughter, but I still can't help but think of how my first little angel would be like now... Is this wrong?
Old September 11th, 2008, 02:30 PM

Congrats April - that is fantastic news. please keep us updated about the big day... is it a girl or boy?
Old September 11th, 2008, 03:24 PM

latelearner will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oogie View Post
... I cannot imagine my life without my daughter, but I still can't help but think of how my first little angel would be like now... Is this wrong?

Not at all Oogie. How can you not? As soon as a woman finds out she's pregnant, in an instant we wonder about whether it will be a girl or boy, we feverishly look up the due date and wonder about the child's zodiac sign and or season of the year that they will be born - how our lives will change and every else in our lives will react to the new baby - its hair and eye colour...on and on. It's a tremendous loss and I hate how society seems to sweep under the rug the emotions a woman feels when she miscarries.

Not wrong at all.
Old September 11th, 2008, 05:19 PM

nonnymouse will become famous soon enough

As latelearner said it is not wrong at all. Very normal in fact. How could you not wonder?How ever you deal with your feelings is right for you. There is not one right way.

Other family members grieve and wonder to. I think it is just hard to talk about. Hard to know what to say that will comfort and honor and even celebrate the memory of that child without causing pain with the reminder.

Do you have any special way of honoring that child that comforts you? Or a way that you have incorporated the fact that she was welcome into your life? That may sound odd...I am not sure how better to say it.