Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Health and Wellness > Reproduction and Pregnancy

Reproduction and Pregnancy Discuss issues related to Reproduction and Pregnancy

Old April 23rd, 2008, 11:07 PM

mommyT is on a distinguished road
Ppd

Hi Everyone

Sorry that I have been MIA for a while, but I have just been diagnosed with Post Pardom (SP?) Depression

I feel safe telling you, because you guys have been great to me, and because I feel I can't really tell people "in real life". I don't want to be judged.

I felt something was wrong for a while now....and didn't want to go to the Dr.'s because I didn't want to hear the truth. Turns out.... I was right. They put me on Lexapro, but I was a walking zombie, so they changed it to Zoloft. I have only been taking it for a week, and really don't feel different. But I will wait and see.

I felt fine right after I had Madison, but if you remember, I told you that I was overly exhausted.... turns out it wasn't just because I had three kiddos.
Anyways, just wanted to post and let you know whats up , so ya don't forget about me.

Talk to ya later!
Old April 24th, 2008, 05:08 AM

1dilwhosreal will become famous soon enough
Re: Ppd

Hugs to you, MommyT.

You did the right thing to get this addressed. PPD is an agonizing road and I wish we didn't have to worry about how someone else would label us. That's what keeps so many women from getting help.

Thanks for keeping us posted.
Old April 24th, 2008, 08:04 AM

grubby will become famous soon enough

(((mommyT)))

You definitely did the right thing. There is nothing to be ashamed of at all. I suffered from postpartum depression after the birth of DD1. I mean horribly (after factoring in my preemie baby, NICU stays, etc...) For a while, I had no idea what was going on. My sis3 (who is also my bestfriend and an OB nurse) pointed it out to me.

Definitely keep talking with your physician. If the meds are not working, then tell him. Yes, it may take longer than a week. I also found out that even the small amount of exercise really helped me. It was a rough go getting myself to actually do the exercise, but afterwards, I felt better, so I kept at it. Even light stretching in the mornings would help get my day going.

Another suggestion, is taking some time for yourself. Go get your hair cut, nails done, etc... I like home improvement shows and my sis3 drug me to one (kicking and screaming) and it was the best medicine ever. She spent the whole time reassuring me about the guilt I felt, but in the end, I had a great time and realized my DD1 suffered no losses for mommy being gone for a couple of hours.

Please keep us informed. New statistics show that "the baby blues" effects close to 50-70% of moms. So more people are being affected than we think.

I was a much better parent... before I had kids!
Old April 24th, 2008, 09:01 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

mommyT -

Really great to hear from you!! I'm sorry about the PPD, but I think it's great that you've addressed it. (hugs)

Can't wait until you've got more time to post here! (Not that the world revolves around *us* or anything....)
Old April 24th, 2008, 09:02 AM

nonnymouse will become famous soon enough

Hey, that is super that you went and got some support! Yeah for you MommyT.

I have been there and I know it is hard. You get no judgment here, only tons of moral support.

I am glad they listened to you and you listened to them. I hope you can feel proud of yourself for taking that step. It will get better.

(((Big Hugs))) for you MommyT.

Do you have physical support there for help with the household and things and other moms to talk to?
Old April 24th, 2008, 09:33 AM

elaine will become famous soon enough

((((Hugs)))))

MommyT, you did the right thing by seeking out help. I also suffered PPD after the birth of my second child. It took a long time to realize it, though, and seek out help. Yeah for you!

Aim for success, not perfection. Never give up your right to be wrong, because then you will lose the ability to learn new things and move forward with your life. -- Dr. David Burns
Old April 24th, 2008, 09:59 AM
She Who Must Be Obeyed

HisHeathenHoney has much to be proud ofHisHeathenHoney has much to be proud ofHisHeathenHoney has much to be proud of

Good for you. You will be a better mommy for getting some support. I had PPD and was on Zoloft for awhile after pregnancy #1. It takes 4-6 weeks on an SSRI to really feel much change. (Other than the sense of relief that 'help is on the way.')

One question: did they check your thyroid function? Because after my 2nd pregnancy, I got diagnosed with "post partum thyroiditis." About 10-15 percent of women get temporary thyroid issues after pregnancy. (Goes away within a year for most. Sometimes translates into long term thyroid issues, which are a nuisance, but nothing major.)

The symptoms are similar to PPD. Also similar to 'just having a baby.' Hard time losing weight, low energy, dry skin, hair loss, tired all the time, general slow metabolism stuff. Doctors think it often goes undiagnosed or mistaken for PPD. So anyway, now I wonder if my PPD after #1 was really PPT.

Either way, Zoloft worked okay for me and it went away eventually, whicever it was. But if antidepressants are not helping much itmight be something to look into.
Old April 24th, 2008, 03:10 PM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute

Hi MommyT! Thanks for the update. Everyone I know who has been on anti-depressants after a baby takes a few weeks for the energy levels to kick up. You'll get there (((((hugs)))))
Old June 3rd, 2008, 03:33 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Are you still out there mommyT? We'd love an update!
Old July 8th, 2008, 02:55 AM

mommyT is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys!

I am still out here! LOL.

Things are okay. I haven't found a medicine that is working for me though. It's frusterating.

But... I am trying the best that I can, to be positive.

Baby Madison, is luckily a very good girl!! She is great. My 3YO is doing better also. I have started a new disipline technique with him, and so far it seems to be working! Thank God!!!

I am so sorry I haven't been posting very much. I miss posting here. You guys are so great and supportive. I just don't have it in me to post very much. Plus, I am super occupied with school being out and stuff.

I hope you guys are doing great, and had a wonderful 4th of July!!! I will try and post more often, this is such a great site!!