Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Grandparents & Grandchildren

Old July 1st, 2011, 07:50 AM

carolynbmt is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Living with daughter and grandson

Our daughter, grandson, and the baby daddy has been living with us since December. We have a small doublewide and the baby's (8 months) crib is setup in a corner in the 2nd living room which is a common area of the house. Our daughter has setup so many rules for when we can visit the baby, what we can do with the baby that it makes us feel very sad. This morning my husband (grandpa) got up early to find the baby already awake and just lying there and he wanted to pick him up and bring him to our room to wake me up. Our daughter came out and got mad at him, because she says that the baby needs his alone time.

She just got a job ($9.65/hr) but her boyfriend has no job and isn't so they aren't in any position to get a place of their own. We would have never thought of scolding our kids' grandparents; we're also getting tired of trying to abide by all of their rules: when we can talk, when we can make noise, when we can bathe, cook breakfast, etc. It's making us crazy as well as depressed.
Old July 1st, 2011, 09:07 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Living with daughter and grandson

It's your home? Then it's your rules. It's time for your daughter, grandchild and baby daddy to be on their own. Have a sitdown with the 4 adults, give them a 6 week deadline to save some money for security and first/last month rent, and consider paying for the moving truck. Don't let her use the baby as a weapon, either.
Old July 1st, 2011, 09:46 AM

Priscille will become famous soon enough

Would it be possible that your daughter feels very insecure right now because of the new job, new baby, having to live with you, etc... It can sometimes happen that when someone feels lots of uncertainty in their life they have to follow all kinds of rules to prove to themselves that everything is fine.

Having said that, on a practical note, I totally agree with Lucy. Your house = your rules. This has to be clear for everyone!
Old July 5th, 2011, 11:00 AM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyVanPelt View Post
It's your home? Then it's your rules.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscille View Post
Your house = your rules.

I vote the same - It's your home. Don't walk on eggshells. Besides, if Grandpa wants to take the baby out of the crib and hold the little guy... then, by all means, do exactly that. I think it's called bonding.