Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Grandparents & Grandchildren

Old March 6th, 2010, 11:52 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Exhibit A

**Disclaimer**

There is much unknown about this story - for example, the parents are interestingly absent. The background is unknown, (i.e. was this unusual behavior?) the specifics are unknown (i.e. had the warning sign fallen over?), etc. THE LARGE PERCENTAGE OF GRANDPARENTS are not like this - they'd NEVER do something like this. My kids' grandparents would never, EVER do anything like this.

I acknowledge the frustration of the large percentage of grandparents for whom things are "ruined" based on the behavior of the few.

**End of Disclaimer**

Here it is folks. Here is Exhibit A why I do not believe that GPs (or aunts/uncles, or any non-parent for that matter) ought to automatically have "rights" with respect to their GC. (note - I have removed the names of the people involved b/c I don't think they're relevant )

http://www.twincities.com/ci_14520650

Quote:
MANITOWOC, Wis. A zoo in Manitowoc was shut down for the day after a bear bit off at least two of a woman's fingers.

Police say the 47-year-old had gone past barriers and warning signs at the Lincoln Park Zoo and was apparently trying to feed two bears around 11:30 a.m. Friday.

Capt. XXXXXXXXX told the Manitowoc Herald Times Reporter an Asiatic brown bear bit off her thumb and forefinger, while her middle and ring fingers were partially severed.

The woman, identified as XXXXXXXXX, of Manitowoc, remains hospitalized. Her boyfriend tried to pry the bear's mouth off her hand. He also was bitten, but did not lose any fingers.

Mayor XXXXXXX's office says alcohol was a factor with both adults. A 3-year-old child with them was not harmed.

Police say the bears likely won't be euthanized.
Here's what I want to know... Did the GM leave her 3-year old GC alone behind the barriers that she crossed? Or did the 3-year old go with her to feed the bears? (Which is worse?) Were the parents of the 3-year old fine with GM and BF drinking while taking their child to the zoo in the morning?

This story angers me on behalf of that poor little kid.
Old March 6th, 2010, 02:45 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Exhibit A

That is a terrible story. If that child witnessed GM and her BF drunk at 11:30 AM, crossing barriers to feed a bear, and losing fingers, imagine the terrible memories she will have forever. Poor child.