Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Grandparents & Grandchildren

Old July 5th, 2011, 01:28 PM

bunny79 is on a distinguished road
Post abusive grandparents

My parents are suing me for their grandparents rights. I took my daughter away from them after her counselor advised me too. They have been verbally abusing her. They tried to get custody of her in April but the Judge shot them down. I verbally agreed to visitation every other weekend as long as they went to counseling which they agreed to but never did. It is now July and they have not even called around to find a counselor. My daughter did not want to go there this past weekend, so they asked if they could have her for the week which her and I both said NO! Than all the threats of suing me and calling me bad names came out of their mouths. My daughter over heard all of it cuz she was eaves dropping & i had them on speaker phone for my boyfriend to listen to it. I figured it was only fair since they had me on speaker phone. My question is can they really get visitation when they are facing Tax Evasion charges along with theft, identity theft, forgery & fraud? These crimes they did against me and my daughter. They are dairy farmers and when they sold cattle they put it in either my name or my daughter's name and when the check came with wither name on it they forged our signature, than signed their name and cashed the check. All to avoid paying taxes on that money. They stopped using my name when i turned 18. I had my daughter when i was 20, & that's when they started using her name.
Old July 5th, 2011, 03:10 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: abusive grandparents

Why did you even agree to "visitation" in the first place?

If they are using you &/or your DD to aviod paying taxes, it could come back & bite you in the backside - you may have to report them - I think the IRS has an anonomus reproting hotline

Look up old threads by Latelearner - they may help you

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old July 5th, 2011, 03:54 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Are you being advised by a lawyer, bunny? I can't see how they could get visitation, but I'm not a lawyer and don't know what state laws are where you live.

Did they have an established relationship with your daughter before? You said you "took her away from them" - did she live with them? Is your daughter's counselor willing to testify that she advised you to stop visitation? How old is your daughter? (some states allow kids of a certain age a say-so in visitation)

Stop the visitations, and stop taking their calls. Let them contact your lawyer.
Old July 6th, 2011, 04:09 AM

Annsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond repute

Any abusive recorded messages, letters emails you have from them - any evidence, I would use to help you get a restraining order.

Keep an "evidence file" and you need to see a lawyer for advice. Ask your counsellor if she can follow up any consultations you've had with her in writing.
There’s one major problem with giving grandparents legal access to their grandchildren. People who inflicted verbal, physical and sexual abuse on their children are then given access to inflict trauma on yet another generation. ~ Wayne and Tamara
Old July 6th, 2011, 06:47 AM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

Quit talking to them. Change your phone number or put them on call block. If you have a cell phone you can have their number blocked free of charge simply by calling your provider. If you do take their phone call then record it and keep it. One thing you have to NOT do and that is do not threaten them in any way yourself - keep yourself squeaky clean.

If you can't afford a lawyer (something like this would run around 1k-2k) then call your State's Division of Social Service's and start inquiring about what right's a grandparent has - my guess is they have zero because you are the custodial parent and have no pending charges or cases against you or the father of your child.

Let them spend their money. Most people, when they threaten with legal action, are full of crap - especially them (if they really have all those pending charges). My guess is they're blowing smoke.

You said they are suing you. Have you received any paperwork from their lawyer or is this what they said?

Quote:
...they are facing Tax Evasion charges along with theft, identity theft, forgery & fraud?
Is this really happening? Real, official charges from law enforcement?
Old July 21st, 2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu View Post
Why did you even agree to "visitation" in the first place?

If they are using you &/or your DD to aviod paying taxes, it could come back & bite you in the backside - you may have to report them - I think the IRS has an anonomus reproting hotline

Look up old threads by Latelearner - they may help you
I agreed to the visitation cuz the judge said to either come up with one or he would. That scared me, cuz they wanted every weekend plus one day a week. She was in their care for a few months cuz of my medical problems, which are now over with. I'm healthy once again. They are facing charges for tax evasion, fraud, forgery, theft, and identity theft. The paper work is now with a special agent with the MN Tax Revenue. They are going over all the information before they go to court. The cops got all the information they needed & forwarded it to that special agent.The IRS was notified by me and the cops.
I could not afford a lawyer & could not get one for free either cuz of the household income. I did get a free consultation from one lawyer who only gave me some advice.
I still have not been served with any papers from their current threats of suing me, I told them I would counter sue them right back. The cop i talked to after their threatening call said that they were probably just blowing smoke or trying to scare me into giving them their way. I found out my siblings are finally standing up to them and defending me. My daughters counselor is willing to help in any way he can to prevent them from seeing her again.
Sorry it took so long to get back on here.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 10:31 AM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunny79 View Post
I agreed to the visitation cuz the judge said to either come up with one or he would. That scared me, cuz they wanted every weekend plus one day a week.
Wasn't their visitation contingent on:

Quote:
They tried to get custody of her in April but the Judge shot them down. I verbally agreed to visitation every other weekend as long as they went to counseling which they agreed to but never did. It is now July and they have not even called around to find a counselor.
Did that come from the Judge? If it did and they have not gone to counseling then they have a problem. In other words: If the Judge ordered them to go to counseling and they have NOT complied then you are not obligated to give them visitation. Do you have the Court Order? If not, you can get a copy from the Circuit Clerks office.

It would be a good idea to make a folder for yourself and keep any and all information related to this situation.

Quote:
I could not afford a lawyer & could not get one for free either cuz of the household income. I did get a free consultation from one lawyer who only gave me some advice.
I'm sure tat Lawyer gave you sound advice.

Quote:
I still have not been served with any papers from their current threats of suing me, I told them I would counter sue them right back.
They probably won't bring this to court. Especially if the Court ordered them to attend counseling and they have yet to attend.

What would you countersue for?

Quote:
The cop i talked to after their threatening call said that they were probably just blowing smoke or trying to scare me into giving them their way.
The Cop is probably right on target.

Quote:
I found out my siblings are finally standing up to them and defending me. My daughters counselor is willing to help in any way he can to prevent them from seeing her again.
I'm glad you have a support system. Oh yes! Three cheers for your kids and sticking up for mom!
Old July 22nd, 2011, 04:38 PM

I would sue them for the money from the checks that came in my name and my daughters name. Since they forged our signatures and took the money. They only used our names to avoid paying taxes on that money.
I'll have to get that Court Order, the judge did ask them if they would go to counseling if i agreed to give them visitation and they said they would. So than we negotiated the visitation. I gave them 2 months to find a counselor while still having visitation, & they never even tried to find a counselor. Because they don't want to pay for one, In court they had asked the judge if there was any way that i would be the one to pay for their counseling, Luckily he shot that one down cuz i was already paying for my daughters. So they have to pay for their own. Last i heard they now want me to pay for their attorney. That's not going to happen. They chose to get one to sue me they can pay for her themselves.