Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Step-families

Old January 1st, 2014, 10:40 AM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute
Re: new step family

Hi Thr, I'm a parent of an 18 year old - who we all love to bits, but is extremely stubborn, and therefore wasn't always and easy child.

Agreeing with Lucy here. I used to make it clear why what DD did was unacceptable, and what the punishment would be for the next time she did something similarly unacceptable, and stick to it like robo cop.

For example, you could say ANY form of disrespecting your wife is not acceptable, and this will be what happens next time. Also explain to them that each time they make mean or derogatory comments, they are adding to home disharmony, and there are natural consequences for that too. - Think of an example you can remind them about from their past, where they were the ones feeling the hurt or natural consequences.

Did you think your child was being a brat, by the way?
Old January 1st, 2014, 12:32 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: new step family

don't make your wife the "evil step-mother" (I used to get put in that position) - YOU need to stand up for your wife, when necessary & I really like the ideas of appolgies and the consequences given in previous posts.

Its going to be rough finding the right balance for all of you. If you enjoy reading/find it helpful, there's a book called "saving your second marraige" - it might be helpful for both of you to read