Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Step-families

Old February 7th, 2014, 12:16 PM

mommystep is on a distinguished road
Question

who gets the room?????

3 KIDS/ 2 GIRLS, 1 BOY

2 YEAR DIFF IN AGES.

WE HAVE A 4 BEDROOM CONDO- BOY GETS ONE ROOM/ GIRLS WANTED TO SHARE THEIR ROOM/ NOW THEY WANT A ROOM OF THEIR OWN..... ISSUE..... THE SPARE BEDROOM IS SMALLER THAN THE 2 OTHER BEDROOMS! SO THERE IS A FIGHT.

MY CHILD WHO IS 2 YRS YOUNGER (12 YEAR OLD) LIVES WITH US 24/7- AND HAS A LOT OF STUFF AND SHE LIVES IN ONE HOUSE ONLY
STEP CHILD WHO IS 14 LIVES WITH US 50/50- HALF OF THEIR STUFF IS AT THEIR MOMS.

WHO GETS THE BIGGER ROOM?

I SUGGESTED THE BOY TAKES THE SAMLLER ROOM AND LET GIRLS HAVE EQUAL SIZE ROOMS- BUT THAT WAS A BIG NO.

MOST TELL ME THAT THE FULL TIME CHILD SHOULD, I JUST WANTED TO GET MORE ANSWERS SO I DONT FEEL QUILTY AND MAKE SURE ITS EVEN.

THANK YOU
Old February 7th, 2014, 12:21 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Question

I would NOT phrase this as a part-time vs. full-time child; they are your children all the time.

Since the girls shared a room and then changed their minds, one of them gets the smaller room. The fairest way to decide this is to flip a coin.

Then get yourself a box of wine to cope with the whining.
Old February 7th, 2014, 12:24 PM

YES,
children all the time- just the full time child has full time belongings- so space wise I had no other way of addressing it/ other child has half here and half there.

plus would it make sense to have that room empty half of the time?

guess it tough when you want to be fair.
Old February 7th, 2014, 12:30 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

Your mind is in temporal things, but this decision could have long-lasting emotional implications for the step-daughter. I wouldn't be the cause of that.

Your daughters things fit in 1/2 a bedroom so I see no reason why it wouldn't fit in a whole small room. Plus, she could win the coin toss, and if she did, it wouldn't be because you relegated the half child to a small room.
Old February 7th, 2014, 06:47 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

other options might be

is there a attic/basement that could be converted into a bedroom?

do the bedrooms share a wall? if so, could you move the wall to make the rooms equal? or add a wall & doors and turn the space between the room into walk in closets ... yea, both bedrooms would be small then - but having large closets
Old February 8th, 2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu View Post
other options might be

is there a attic/basement that could be converted into a bedroom?

do the bedrooms share a wall? if so, could you move the wall to make the rooms equal? or add a wall & doors and turn the space between the room into walk in closets ... yea, both bedrooms would be small then - but having large closets
That's an idea! "Think outside the box!"
Old February 8th, 2014, 04:30 PM

WisconsinMama will become famous soon enough

I've been there. We struggled with who should get the room upstairs in our house. My hubby wanted his older boys (my stepboys) to have it because it was a bigger room. I wanted our son who is a toddler in it because at the time he was a new baby and I wanted to have him closer and easier to get too, just while he was little. We compromised and said he could have it for now but when he got older if the boys wanted to switch they could. And I totally agree. I dont care if he has the smaller room or the bigger one, I just wanted him close while he was little. As he gets older I have no problem with him taking the smaller one downstairs.

As for your situation, I think I agree with Lucy. That's the fair way to do it if everyone had agreed upon the room situation before and then they wanted to change it.
Old February 8th, 2014, 05:05 PM

searain will become famous soon enough

Tell the kids to work it out or you will. Then the biggest room goes to the oldest, etc. You may be surprised what they decide. My kids all wanted one bedroom because it had a drpped ceiling where they could put osyers, although it was a smaller room with a smaller closet.
Old February 10th, 2014, 06:39 AM

the girls both want that room. I just hate that my kid's belongings have to be in storage- that I don't think its fair- would all that fit in the other room? no
just so tired over this...... even if both of them were my children and one lived with me full time and one lets say only came home on weekends from collage I would still give the room to full time child. guess everyone has a different way.
Old February 10th, 2014, 07:00 AM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

I know my wife and I would give the bedroom to the oldest. Why? Because she's the oldest.

Hope it works out for you.