Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Spouses & Significant Others

Old May 16th, 2013, 10:14 AM

gina is on a distinguished road
Who do you love more ,your spouse or kids

When I was very little, I asked my grandmother who she loved the most, thinking that the answer would be me. Without hesitating, she told me that she loved grandpa the most. I was surprised and kept asking her if she loved him more than my mother, more than my aunt, more than me. Always the answer was yes. She was incredibly gentle throughout my line of questioning and explained to me that he was the love of her life. I was too young then to understand the difference between romantic love and familial love, but I always remembered this. I also remember my grandparents sitting next to each other on the couch, holding hands and singing tunes together absentmindedly well into their 80s and still do it .

I always thought you are supposed to love your spouse the most.So i am just curious about it .
Who do you love more and why ?
Old May 16th, 2013, 11:47 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Who do you love more ,your spouse or kids

Interesting that you'd ask such a question. I take it you aren't married?

May I ask why you are asking this question?
Old May 16th, 2013, 12:39 PM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

LOL!!!

I've been married over 30 years. The maritaly (I just made that word up ) correct response is: My wife. I'm certain any married person who has a decent marriage and values their spouse will answer the same.

Why do I love my wife more than my kids or grandkids? Because I wanna LIVE!
Old May 16th, 2013, 02:24 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot2loud View Post
LOL!!!

I've been married over 30 years. The maritaly (I just made that word up ) correct response is: My wife. I'm certain any married person who has a decent marriage and values their spouse will answer the same.

Why do I love my wife more than my kids or grandkids? Because I wanna LIVE!
Best answer ever, Knot!!!

Seriously, love is not a competition between your spouse and your children so there isn't really a question of "who do you love more."
Old May 16th, 2013, 03:16 PM

longhairedgnome will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyVanPelt View Post
Seriously, love is not a competition between your spouse and your children so there isn't really a question of "who do you love more."
Exactly. And I don't think it's really so much about "more". The love between partners, husband/wife, girfriend/boyfriend or whatever, is different than the love of a parent/grandparent for their children. One is not any greater than the other, they are just different.
Old May 16th, 2013, 10:00 PM

BagLady will become famous soon enough

I have to disagree with all above. My hubbie and I are solid. Always have been, and since we're in our 50's, I expect we always will be. However, I will gladly give my life for my daughter, or grandchildren.
Hubbie would too. BUT, we have done pretty much all we've wanted to do in life. I have to say I love the kids sooo much, that I want them to live out their lives, even if it meant I had to lose my hubbie, or my own life. No regrets.
Old May 17th, 2013, 03:11 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

I'd throw myself on a grenade for my kids too. I love them to the deepest recesses of my heart.

But I feel the same about my husband.

The way I see it, the way the world works is that kids are supposed to grow up, spread their wings, leave the nest and find someone THEY want to build a life with. Hopefully I will have some part in that life, but I don't want to have a starring role.

I love both my husband and my kids, but I want to be at the center of my husband's world, not my kids' worlds.