Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Spouses & Significant Others

Old July 5th, 2013, 09:03 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
romance

what do you do/have you tried for romance? and what would you like your spouce to do?

(knot - we need guys input too - humph, been a long time since I've seen fisherman)

I tried a romantic picnic today (anyone pick up on that tried )

The idea was great, but the park I like ... not so great (its a wooded, conservation park). The only place you're allowed to eat food is in a shelter (fine); that had no tables - instead there were just unmovable benches for school children/scout groups to use when listening to a presentor

(I did have a good/yummy menu though)

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old July 6th, 2013, 07:04 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: romance

Romance? I've given up on the "big" gestures and stick to the little ones. Holding hands, a good kiss, a look, text or email, a little something everyday.
Old July 8th, 2013, 07:04 AM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

I'm kind of a romantic anyway. My wife has called me a flirt. I always thought I was a pretty happy guy - I like to smile... Not some big overbearing, show the pearly whites kind of smile - just a crook at the corners of the mouth and a little eye contact. There's no consistency in return smiles... Some quickly turn their eyes away to avoid eye contact, some lock on and return the smile, some have zero expression and continue on their way. Of course, none of that dictates romanticism - that's just being nice (at least in my opinion).

What do I do to be romantic? Nothing big anymore. After 30+ years if my wife isn't interested in romance (I'm not talking about sex either) she just laughs and goes about whatever business she was doing before I interrupted her mission. However, I'm a die-hard and don't give up that easily. I like music, so if the stereo is on and she walks by when one of my favorite syrupy Bolton, Enrique or a rock n' roll Seger tunes are playing I'll grab her, do a couple of dance moves with her and let her go about her way. I'll rub her neck and sholders if she's sitting down, rub her feet with lotion in the evening, sneak up behind her and kiss her on the neck.

Oh heck... There's a ton of little things couples can do for each other that would constitute romance if they put their minds to it.

I love picnics. My wife doesn't... She has this thing about bugs, snakes, spiders, turtles, mountain lions, anacondas, blue whales... So whatever I do has to be at home under the protection of walls and a roof.
Old July 8th, 2013, 11:54 AM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

Dancing... That's a biggie! I love to dance - although I never really thought I was any good at it, but that never mattered to me anyway. I love to dance so if we go out - I dance... a lot.

Music venues... That's another one. We don't necessarily go to big concerts - who want to spend $100+ bucks per ticket every time? Not me - I'm cheap. There's plenty of local clubs that offer decent musicians with a $5 cover charge. We like the Jazz & Blues ones. We don't go out often, but when we do we enjoy it.

I like to give her a surprise text every now and then. Just something warm and fuzzy.

One liners... I still give her one every now and then. They're cheesy, but who cares - they're fun. Here's a few...

If you held up 11 roses into a mirror, you'd be looking at 12 of the most beautiful things in the world.

They say a picture tells 1,000 words but when I see yours all I see is 3: I...love...you.

Life without you is like a broken pencil, pointless.

look into my eyes and you'll find me. look into my heart and you'll find you.

Just the thought of you raises my spirit.

Yep... Pretty cheesy.
Old July 8th, 2013, 12:18 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

Knot, those are exactly the things that keep a romance alive!
Old July 8th, 2013, 01:15 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

knot - it sounds like you & my DH are similar
Old July 9th, 2013, 04:49 AM
is never to loud.

Poor guy...
Old July 9th, 2013, 09:28 AM
is never to loud.

Maybe I should say... Poor snafu.
Old July 9th, 2013, 10:41 AM
future crazy cat lady

knot I can totally picture you doing this (aside: I know I've posted about this before)

DH once walked up behind me, tossed a bag of chips on the floor & grabbed me from behind (kind of hugged).

I was

DH said something like "See, I've got your back when the chips are down"

snafu =

actually knot - since I read your post, I'm trying to show DH that I enjoy his sillyness, rather than just (I still , but too)

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old July 9th, 2013, 10:57 AM
is never to loud.

Quote:
actually knot - since I read your post, I'm trying to show DH that I enjoy his sillyness, rather than just (I still , but too)
That's great! I know after awhile of getting too many... "stop that..." "I'm not in the mood" "quit being silly" I've had a tendency to stop altogether - hence... I go to reading books and get lost in la-la land.

Luckily I have a thick skull, limited memory and have a difficult time taking "get lost" for an answer. So I just bounce back to my usual childish ways.