Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Anything & Everything Forum > News and Current Events

News and Current Events Discuss news and current events

Old November 28th, 2017, 02:45 PM
Jet Setter

trixxie is on a distinguished road
Review of the tax plan? Accountants? CPA's opinion please

SEMI-VENT ~ Not trying to start a flame war here - at all. I'm just so disappointed in the US Government and the "tax reform bill" that is pending.

I'm curious from rank and file accountants and CPA's of what they think of the tax plan. I don't understand it to be "reform" in the way of the "tax reform" of the 1980's.
It's a tax cut for rich people and corporations. From what I've read - the poorest of the poor will pay taxes.
Poor people cannot ill afford to pay taxes - and the people that represent us (supposedly) seem to be in the pocket of big business and rich people.

RANT over - mods? If I'm out of line - please delete.
Old November 28th, 2017, 06:05 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Review of the tax plan? Accountants? CPA's opinion please

I'm a CPA, trixxie. I don't know if you knew that. I used to prepare tax returns for a living. I do not work in public accounting anymore but I do maintain my license.

We have to follow the forum rules which limits promoting of a personal advocacy, which includes politics.

I haven't read either bill, so I can't form an opinion about them. I will say that tax laws are immensely complex and take years and years to master. The CBO made huge mistakes in their calculations with the ACA (that we're still discovering now, all of these years later) and therefore I don't really trust them to bang out accurate (or even unbiased) reports now. I just don't think we have enough information. How reporters (or worse yet - Facebook users) without any tax background can become "experts" within a day of the bill being released is beyond my capacity to understand.

Society today is quick to form opinions based on carefully edited sound bites; my opinion is that we all, no matter what side of the political spectrum we're on (because both sides do it), need to stop letting ourselves be manipulated.
Old November 28th, 2017, 08:04 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

Even the "simplified" tax reform is complicated. I rely on the CBO to help understand what's in the bill, but I don't trust their predictions.

The CBO has an outdated/misguided economic philosophy which slants their projections making them unreliable.
Old November 29th, 2017, 08:40 AM
Jet Setter

trixxie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayKay View Post
I'm a CPA, trixxie. I don't know if you knew that. I used to prepare tax returns for a living. I do not work in public accounting anymore but I do maintain my license.

We have to follow the forum rules which limits promoting of a personal advocacy, which includes politics.

(
Yes I know you are a CPA - and respect the rules of the forum. My apologies for this thread.
Old December 5th, 2017, 07:25 AM
is a painting fool.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

The tax bill is about 400 pages long and contains enough Pork to make your head spin.

There are so many different forms of taxation that I'm almost beyond caring. What's the choice? Pay up or suffer the consequences.

UGH! I've said enough here to make my own stomach squirm.

Nuff said!
Old December 5th, 2017, 08:04 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot2loud View Post
Pay up or suffer the consequences.
!
Pay up AND suffer the consequences!
Old December 7th, 2017, 07:56 AM
is a painting fool.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyVanPelt View Post
Pay up AND suffer the consequences!
Yes. That.