Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Around the House > Recipes

Recipes Post and rate your favorite Recipes

Old March 31st, 2008, 01:40 PM
Science is my path.

Blissfully8 is on a distinguished road
A horrible Bobby Flay recipe.

This last weekend I made a recipe from the Bobby Flay BBQ show on the foodnetwork and it was very very very bad!!!

It was a recipe for shrimp on sugarcane skewers with a rum glaze on it. The glaze was Rum, sugar, butter, mustard, cinnamon, and all spice cooked down into a syrup. It tasted like cough syrup though and I ended up dumping it and making my own glaze. The bad ingredient was the mustard. It just didn't belong. I am glad I could fix it though, I was making it for a dinner party and would have been horrified to serve his orginal dish.

The dish I made was fantastic though so I guess he gets credit for the idea at least. I just used: sugar, butter, less rum, cinn, bayleaf, garlic, and star spice. I also added fresh pineapple chunks and orange bell peppers to the skewers. It was great although I think it would have been the same without the sugarcane and just plain skewers.

Tip: Test those dishes before cooking it for friends.
Old April 18th, 2008, 06:11 AM

nonnymouse will become famous soon enough
Re: A horrible Bobby Flay recipe.

That's a good tip about testing before sharing a recipe. I think my husband would appreciate it if I could test a dish before serving it to him too. Sometimes I try a new recipe and it just does nothing positive for the dinner experience at all.

The most recent successful thing that I actually got from a recipe site was this...http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Creamy-...es/Detail.aspx

Everyone enjoyed them. It is very rich though. Only something I'd make once or twice a year probably. I actually replace part of the milk with cream. And sprinkle the top with a bit of the cheese held out of the recipe and brown the top during the last 15 minutes of cooking.

I think the onions add a lot to this dish. I do more than is called for and I dice instead of leaving them in rings. The kids don't notice diced, but rings might make for an 'I don't like onions issue'.

I add a bit of spices as well, whatever I'm in the mood for. Last time I added a nutmeg and cardamom. It doesn't show up flavor-wise while hot so much but eating the dish cold after that it adds a nice touch and stands out more.