Venison Cheese Meat Loaf
2 pounds ground deer burger
1 onion chopped
4 crackers crushed
3 eggs slightly beaten
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
Mild cheese slices

Mix all ingredients except cheese slices. Place half the mixture in baking dish, place thin slices of cheese on first half. Cover cheese with rest of meat mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour.

-----------------------------

W's Favorite Meatloaf
2 pounds ground venison
1 10-ounce can tomatoes with green chilies
1 small onion, chopped
2 eggs
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 cup uncooked oats
1/4 cut grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat over to 350 degrees. Combine all ingredients with ground venison. Place into a one quart foil-lined loaf pan. Bake for one hour. Serves 6 to 8.

-----------------------------

That cheese meatloaf sounds tasty! Although I think I'd add a few extras to it.
Old April 3rd, 2013, 09:27 PM

longhairedgnome will become famous soon enough
Re: Deer meat anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagLady View Post
That's an awsome recipe! I wonder if I could convert it to using ground venison? We don't keep the neckbones, but I'm sure I could use some of the hind or forequarter meat.
I didn't know some people couldnt eat any red meat at all. Around here it's considered healthy even for people with diabetes or heart problems and high blood pressure.
You had to do a lot of typing for me to give me that recipe. I really appreciate you taking the time. Tomorrow, I'll pull it up and write it down.
Thanks, Jan
No problem, I type pretty fast. Maybe you could copy/paste into word and print it off? As for the cut of meat I would think you could use ground venison or some other cut.

BF has all of the above and then some. What he should and shouldn't be eating depends on who he asks but staying away from red meat, even pork, is pretty consistent, although we do still have a little from time to time.
Old April 4th, 2013, 03:22 PM

BagLady will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhairedgnome View Post
No problem, I type pretty fast. Maybe you could copy/paste into word and print it off? As for the cut of meat I would think you could use ground venison or some other cut.

BF has all of the above and then some. What he should and shouldn't be eating depends on who he asks but staying away from red meat, even pork, is pretty consistent, although we do still have a little from time to time.
It's good your BF has your support and understanding. Must be a challenge to plan meals.
I think I'll "tweek" the meatloaf recipe a bit too. Some bell pepper would be good.
I never thought of putting cheese in the middle! I love that idea! Thanks again.
Old April 5th, 2013, 08:54 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

I've wanted to try deer, but BIL no longer hunts

I've also been told that you can't buy it in stores because its not "farmed" or regulated by the FDA
Old April 6th, 2013, 09:37 AM

longhairedgnome will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu View Post

I've also been told that you can't buy it in stores because its not "farmed" or regulated by the FDA
I've never seen it in a regular store before either. There are places to buy it but it isn't cheap. BF and I were getting it from my brother who processes deer. He even makes sausage and really good jerky. And there's a guy not far from us that raises bison and sells the meat. We used to buy from him too.

I've seen buffalo, and even elk once, on restaurant menus before. Don't think I've ever seen deer on a menu though.
Old April 6th, 2013, 02:22 PM

BagLady will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu View Post

This is the only place I've lived where the deer meat does'nt have that "gamey" taste. I don't know why that is. Lots of soybean fields here, maybe that has something to do with it..?
I havent seen any in stores for sale, but then it's hard to find a good loaf of wheat bread here, without going 30 miles for it!