Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Around the House > Hobbies and Crafts

Hobbies and Crafts A place for crafting and other hobbies

Old January 6th, 2008, 01:09 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
Hobby- Gardening

Today is really nice- in the 60's (F)! I checked my garden & the strawberries I planted last spring are looking good - and have really spread out! I hope I get more than one strawberry this year. Uninformed as I am I thought I'd get strawberries the same year that I planted them-. I found out later that I did well- LOL.

I'm a total novice & just found out that if I want to grow (try anyway) tomatoes & hot peppers (DH loves homemade salsa) I need to get the seeds started no later than Valentine's Day - pref. by Feb. 1st .

If anyone want to do a "fun" garden with their kid(s), I'd recommend Purple green beans (no- I've not lost it, they really are purple). They're fun for kids, easy to grow & see to pick, & turn green when cooked. If you have a chain link fence Purple King (pole beans)will work. If you don't have something (fence/trellis) for them to climb make sure you get "bush" beans- Purple Queen. Burpee sells them & so do other seed companies.

Last edited by snafu; January 6th, 2008 at 01:11 PM. Reason: note for mods-should hobbies be combined with crafts?
Old January 6th, 2008, 02:23 PM

elaine will become famous soon enough
Re: Hobby- Gardening

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu
note for mods-should hobbies be combined with crafts?
Great idea, snafu! I changed the name of the forum to include hobbies, and your thread was moved.
Old January 6th, 2008, 02:26 PM

elaine will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu View Post
Today is really nice- in the 60's (F)! I checked my garden & the strawberries I planted last spring are looking good - and have really spread out! I hope I get more than one strawberry this year. Uninformed as I am I thought I'd get strawberries the same year that I planted them-. I found out later that I did well- LOL.

I'm a total novice & just found out that if I want to grow (try anyway) tomatoes & hot peppers (DH loves homemade salsa) I need to get the seeds started no later than Valentine's Day - pref. by Feb. 1st .

If anyone want to do a "fun" garden with their kid(s), I'd recommend Purple green beans (no- I've not lost it, they really are purple). They're fun for kids, easy to grow & see to pick, & turn green when cooked. If you have a chain link fence Purple King (pole beans)will work. If you don't have something (fence/trellis) for them to climb make sure you get "bush" beans- Purple Queen. Burpee sells them & so do other seed companies.
Good ideas, snafu.

Apparently, you live in a warm climate like I do. I have never been much of a gardner and there isn't really any room to garden in the yard we have. Do you know what type of vegetables would grow well in a container that would be easy for the kids to participate with?

I could use Trixxie's mosaic idea and make beautiful containers for them, too!
Old January 6th, 2008, 03:05 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

I love to garden. I haven't done it in a very, very long time. It was a hobby I loved to do with my D when I was a kid, and as an adult he and I enthusiastically shared news of each others' gardens. I haven't planted a single thing since he died 5 years ago. Maybe it's time to move forward.

As far as container gardening, elaine, cherry tomatoes have always been my favorite. I've also had luck with bush beans, bell peppers, and especially jalapenos. Jalapenos might not be very kid-friendly though. I still have a huge pot of rosemary by my back door, but that's not exactly "gardening", is it?

There are so many more plants now that have been cultivated to do well in pots since I was container gardening (about 15 years ago). If you find a local garden store, they'll have great advice. My FIL had an amazing container garden; he planted the coolest stuff. Japanese eggplant was his favorite.
Old January 6th, 2008, 04:52 PM

1dilwhosreal will become famous soon enough

I did a lot of container gardening in my old house. We did the pizza garden stuff-- tomatoes, oregano, basil, fennel, bell peppers, marjoram. They did really well.

Strawberry pots are supposed to be great, too.

Now we plant the same things, but in the ground. I also throw in some watermelons because they're fun. I plant them around my azaleas and use the azaleas to support them.

I also do really well with fennel. I plant the seeds all around my DD's play house in the fall. They come up in the spring on their own. It smells wonderful and she feels like she's got a cottage in the woods. I let them go to seed to spread again.

I'll have to look for the purple beans. My DD might like them.
Old January 6th, 2008, 06:43 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

If you like bell peppers the "carnival mix" (purple, "diamond", and other fun colors) was great. My DS grew 9 plants from seeds. We just grew these for fun. I would recommend that you don't follow the starting instructions of 3-4 seeds per peat pellet- the different types mature at different rates & once we "weeded out" all but the strongest seeding, we ended up with 7 purple pepper plants.

The only veggie I've grown in a pot was a tomato plant- I used Miricle Grow & did great. However, I should have used a larger pot - my tomato cage was NOT well grounded & would get blown over/out easily -until I attached it to the deck rail.

Last edited by snafu; January 6th, 2008 at 06:47 PM.
Old February 1st, 2008, 05:25 PM

nonnymouse will become famous soon enough

We (the two little ladies (4&2) and I) planted strawberry seeds in tiny containers today. They apparently take a month to germinate. So this will be an exercise is attention spans for us.

We're calling it a mystery-strawberry-adventure garden.
I'm excited to see if they will be able to associate their planting action today and watering throughout the month with the eventual sprouts. I'm hoping they will have fun being responsible for their own containers. (I'm also hoping we can avoid mangling the sprouts for long enough to be able to transplant them.)

Does anyone have any more gardening with kids stories? I used to love going to the greenhouse shop to buy tomato plants with my mother. I still love the smell of tomatoes on the vine.

(I don't know if this post should be here or in kids. Feel free to move it if I picked wrong. )
Old February 1st, 2008, 06:46 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

nonny - not to be a b*tt-in-ski, but strawberries don't usually produce the first year. Growing plants is fun in and of itself, but I just didn't want you getting your little ones' hopes up only to have them dashed.

Do your girls have a particular vegetable they like to eat? My kids liked planting carrots when they were young, and green beans. (Not quite season for them yet where I live)
Old February 1st, 2008, 10:23 PM

nonnymouse will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayKay View Post
nonny - not to be a b*tt-in-ski, but strawberries don't usually produce the first year. Growing plants is fun in and of itself, but I just didn't want you getting your little ones' hopes up only to have them dashed.

Do your girls have a particular vegetable they like to eat? My kids liked planting carrots when they were young, and green beans. (Not quite season for them yet where I live)
Thanks for the tip KayKay. No, I didn't get their hopes up about berries.
Although DD1 Kept running back to see if they'd sprouted yet. (We just planted them tonight.) I had in mind to buy some established plants later if these don't make it to the transplant stage. Maybe I'll do that anyway if the girls take to it and are interested enough to be looking for berries.

I'd love to grow carrots if we had more room. I think they'd get such a kick out of pulling them up for dinner or snacks themselves. I don't know that you can do root veggies in containers. Can you?

They are interested in cooking so I thought a couple of easy herbs might be worth a try too? FIL had a garden for a while and DD1 learned to recognize rosemary and some others right away.

Our out-of-doors is just a small porch. So it's small containers for us for the time being.

I appreciate your concern, KayKay. Again thanks, for the tip.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 08:57 AM
future crazy cat lady

My DS and I started tomato (5), hot pepper (3), and savory seeds (2) a few days ago. I can't wait to get into the garden. I hope my strawberry plants produce this year . I'm worse than my son- I keep looking to see if anythings sprouted. (Last year, when he did bell peppers they sprouted rather quickly).

I've got seeds for purple green beans, reg. green beans, 2 types of peas, and pumpkins yet to plant- but these are all direct sow.