Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Around the House > Hobbies and Crafts

Hobbies and Crafts A place for crafting and other hobbies

Old November 12th, 2008, 05:36 AM

gladlod is on a distinguished road
Re: Hobby- Gardening

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonnymouse View Post
I think in a garden you can end up with a lot of plants you weren't counting on. (Weeds.) But if you are excited about gardening and put in the time to learn about their care and needs you'll probably get a good result. I think most gardeners enjoy the trial and error of planting and replanting and changing things around. You have more options outdoors than indoors.

I like to read about gardening at garden web forum. They have sections for every type of plant in garden or nature that I could have imagined and lots of people who can answer plant questions. They have a seed exchange that sounds like fun. If I ever have garden space I'd love to participate.

What are you growing indoors gladlod?
Thanks so much for the indepth reply! I will try to find so good forums about gardening, and maybe I get a book for christmas ;-)
At the moment i do have normal room plants like banyan tree or ivy and for cooking basilicum basil and rosemary and everything is growing really well!
Old March 6th, 2009, 09:33 AM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

For those of us in the northern hemisphere tis' the time to start thinking about our gardens again.

After my squirel vs strawberry fiasco last year I think I'm going to move my garden & plant flowers this year -

What plans do you have?
Old March 8th, 2009, 03:09 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

There's a half-built garage where my garden used to be. My backyard has been torn up, but it'll be really nice when it's done, right? Right?

I don't think I'll do a vegetable garden this year. As the trees (and garage) grow, I'm running out of full sun. Maybe tomatoes in pots.
Old March 17th, 2009, 08:45 AM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone ever grown blackberries?

I'd like to grow a bush or two, but don't know if the birds would beat me to them (I already know the squirles will raid any strawberries )

My mom grew up on a farm & I loved visiting my grandparents - fresh strawberries, blackberries, corn on the cob, and grandpa going out into the woods & bringing back a honeycomb and eating the honey yum
Old March 17th, 2009, 01:22 PM

Brownie is on a distinguished road

snafu,

I've grown blackberries. To keep the birds away, I used bird netting and in berry ripening season, picked berries daily.

Brownie
Old April 20th, 2009, 08:52 AM
future crazy cat lady

I never got my garden replanted/redone

DH doesn't want me to take it out as the dog will get in the dirt & track it into the house.

Now DS has discovered that its lookin' like I'll have a bumper crop of strawberries this year & doesn't want me to do anything either (btw - DS does NOT like strawberries). Thing is I've already taken the fence down, not weeded, & really don't feel like redoing the garden
Old May 21st, 2009, 08:11 AM
future crazy cat lady

I know this thread is old, but...strawberry daquiris on me

I've had A LOT of strawberries & I ate so many last night I had a stomic ache.
Old May 21st, 2009, 08:37 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Lucky you!! My strawberries didn't survive the backyard makeover I'm getting. On the plus side, strawberries were on sale at the grocery store this morning. LOL!