Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Health and Wellness > General Health

General Health Discuss issues related to General Health

Old October 28th, 2008, 10:30 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone wear a retainer?

I had braces (Invisalign) several years ago, as an adult. After I finished my course with them I was given a retainer to wear nightly.

Well....

Last spring I had some kind of fever/flu thing and I couldn't bear the thought of that thing in my mouth. One week led to another, and by the time I tried putting the retainer in... ... well it really, really hurt. I know my teeth had been moving slowly, but it was not noticeable other than the retainer not fitting (and it may be warped too... who knows?)

All of a sudden this week (as in YESTERDAY) I noticed that my teeth are out of alignment and headed back from whence they came! I realized tonight that I feel like I've been grinding my teeth (I haven't been a tooth grinder in years) or at least clenching my jaws.

For anyone who might know... do teeth move THAT quickly? I swear - it hasn't been three days.
Old October 29th, 2008, 07:12 AM
maura

Re: Anyone wear a retainer?

Time to call the ortho!!! Just to be sure have that retainer checked.
As for moving within 3 days, I doubt it - why are they left on for months/years?
You may just have one or two teeth that may be out of alignment or need
resurfacing to re-align. Sometimes the bite can be adjusted in you have
begun grinding - buxism, right?

Hope all goes well.
Old October 29th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Science is my path.

Blissfully8 is on a distinguished road

Jaw grinding is a horrible thing, it is very bad for you and not just your teeth.

After having braces in junior high, I loved my smile and actually wore my retainer, at night, for years after that. I do remember though if I went for a sleep over or went on an over nighter and forgot my retainer it would feel really really tight the next time I put it in, so I believe you when you say it feels tight. After years of not wearing the retainer I was fine until I started working at the computer alot in grad school, I guess the stress and woking at the computer alot made me clench my jaw and then grind at night. I now have an NTIS mouth piece, it is one of the smallest mouth pieces they proffesionally make for grinding, it covers only the first two front teeth. I wear it every night and have for a few years (3 or 4). I am a stick to it kind of person, all I need is a routine and I can stick to it like glue.

If you are considering getting a mouth piece, shop around, in just my small town I found 4 different prices for the same brand piece. My denist did happen to be the cheepest at $200 for everything, the most expensive was over $400.

Good luck!
Old December 22nd, 2008, 10:25 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Finally got in to see the orthodontist today. Braces for me. My teeth have moved (in about 7 months since I stopped wearing the retainer) about 50% of the way back to where they started from.

The good news is that it won't be a very long course. He thinks I'll be done in about 5 months or so.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 05:02 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

That is such a shame. So when do you get to stop wearin retainers?
Old December 23rd, 2008, 11:08 AM

Well, I'll ask them not to bury me in it.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 01:29 PM

MissAmanda is on a distinguished road

I had to pay for my braces.I was 22 when they where put on and 25 when they came off.I hated the thing and would not wear it.Braces where a huge waste of money for me.I wont but them back on.I was told they could have put in a forever retainer.Too late now.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 02:14 PM

Well, I'm having to pay for my braces too. (I'm 46, btw) I really didn't mind the retainer. I just had to wear it at night which was really no big deal. The reason I stopped wearing it was that I ran into a period of time after an illness where I couldn't tolerate the thought of that thing in my mouth, and then I got out of the habit. My teeth aren't "so bad", but one of my top front teeth comes forward and one of my bottom front teeth gets crowded backwards. I didn't care about it so much when I was in my twenties, but the older I got the more my teeth kept crowding towards the front. I wanted to stop that before I was a snaggle-toothed old hag. I'd rather be an old hag with nice teeth.

My orthodontist said he could do one of those permanent retainers on me too. Uh, no thanks. He said "Good choice. They're a pain to clean."
Old August 18th, 2009, 10:15 PM

Eight months later and I'm done with my braces!! Phew! Still have to wear the retainer nightly, to prevent this from happening again.
Old July 30th, 2015, 08:29 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

DS should be getting his braces off soon (I hope).

Any advice?

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )