Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Health and Wellness > General Health

General Health Discuss issues related to General Health

Old January 7th, 2014, 04:51 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Side effects of supplements

I am supposed to take calcium supplements because I am at high risk of osteoporosis. Guess what? They give me headaches that seem remarkably like the ones I had when I had elevated blood calcium.

Guess I will stick to my leafy green veggies.

Has anyone else noticed side effects of their supplements?
Old January 7th, 2014, 05:46 AM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Side effects of supplements

Back in the 80's when taking Calcium became some kind of health fad, my wife had a mini stroke. Luckily no damage was done. We're not certain it was really the calcium tabs she was taken that caused it, but she quit taking them and never had the problem again.

Me, I just don't trust all these supplements and the benefits the marketing pros profess these little pills can do.

What do I take? Nothing.
Old January 7th, 2014, 06:28 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

There is evidence that calcium supplements can cause heart attacks. I was at risk for stroke when I was sick and my blood calcium levels were elevated. It seems to me the calcium tabs could be the culprit.
Old January 7th, 2014, 07:54 AM

Annsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond repute

I suffered burning sensations and acute pain in my calves and shins when I was taking vitamin D and calcium and B complex vitamins. I stopped them both. Now a couple of years later I started to take vitamin D on its own for a couple of months (I'm always tired have aching joints and have very little exposure to the sun). I then introduced vitamin B12 on its own and touch wood I have been alright with this combination and it's helping my energy levels.
There’s one major problem with giving grandparents legal access to their grandchildren. People who inflicted verbal, physical and sexual abuse on their children are then given access to inflict trauma on yet another generation. ~ Wayne and Tamara
Old January 7th, 2014, 02:01 PM

JemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud of

Some times with fish oils. Bit of a headache. Tells me I may not need it.

Or, a different type of oil. (maybe just eat more fish)

Do you take magnesium to help with all that calcium? Some K2 along with the D3? Talk to him/her about iodine too?

I know there are some that hear Vit D and they grab whatever...not good. I take D3 during the months (have had my blood tested for levels) I don't get sun on my skin to make it naturally. And I take K2 to help offset the calcium. Magnesium oil. Or epsom salt baths when I have the time.

YAY! I GOT AWAY!
Old January 7th, 2014, 02:43 PM

Mg, Ca and D3, 1/3 daily rda. And I take another D3, too, because its hard to get enough from the sun in the winter and I don't do dairy.

I never get a headache with the D. I always get a headache with the calcium.
Old January 7th, 2014, 06:37 PM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute

I can't take any of the "Bs" - They behave exactly like i have a mild urinary tract infection.
Old January 7th, 2014, 06:40 PM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure there is quite a lot of study still being done about whether calcium supplements do any good or not. Last time i read anything conclusive, the suggestion was that extra calcium only works in conjunction with hormone therapy.
Old January 8th, 2014, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs X View Post
I'm pretty sure there is quite a lot of study still being done about whether calcium supplements do any good or not. Last time i read anything conclusive, the suggestion was that extra calcium only works in conjunction with hormone therapy.
Yeah, that's why I think I'm wasting my time, money, and headaches.
Old January 8th, 2014, 09:42 AM

Eat more tinned sardines? - The cats would LOVE you!