Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Health and Wellness > General Health

General Health Discuss issues related to General Health

Old January 8th, 2014, 10:49 AM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Side effects of supplements

Tinned sardines... LOL

Never could handle them myself. Pickled Herring and saltines was another story.

My latest is chicken nuggets and tobasco. Hmm... I wonder what kind of supplement that would be considered as...

Not to get off topic... you know... LOL
Old January 8th, 2014, 10:58 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Well tabasco peppers have capsaicin in them, which is an anti-inflammatory. Don't know about the chicken nuggets though. They probably have enough breading on them to offset the Tabasco. LOL
Old January 8th, 2014, 02:34 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyVanPelt View Post
I am supposed to take calcium supplements because I am at high risk of osteoporosis. Guess what? They give me headaches that seem remarkably like the ones I had when I had elevated blood calcium.

Guess I will stick to my leafy green veggies.

Has anyone else noticed side effects of their supplements?

I used to take calcium supplements but after a while I got to feeling sickish. I quit and I started feeling better.
Old January 9th, 2014, 08:54 AM

JemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud of

Many "supplements" just can't be absorbed thru intestines to be released to do any good.

From my teeny bit of research, food based is always the best.

Look at high calcium foods and try eating more than enough of them w/o the supplement and see if any thing happens.

Diet is the way to go - meaning the foods eaten for nutrition. ;0

You may be able to lessen your dependence on calcium add ons. I am not sure if there is a great food based one out there??
I might take this one:

...land of the free. kind of...maybe...not so much.

Last edited by JemStar; January 9th, 2014 at 08:54 AM. Reason: had me at fermented
Old January 10th, 2014, 01:49 PM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

I had a little time on my hands and was rather curious about calcium supplements. So I did the google dance...

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/0...ements-2/?_r=0
Old January 11th, 2014, 02:02 PM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting article! Thanks K2L, i would never have seen this if you hadn't brought it to our attention, not being an avid reader of the NY Times.

So, despite all the clinical studies and concerns, there is still not much evidence to suggest that calcium supplements at the standard dose rate do anything much. - Is that how everyone else reads this?
Old January 11th, 2014, 06:35 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

That's how I understand it, Mrs. X. The quandary I'm in is "healthy women." Am I one? Maybe I'll just drink more almond milk.
Old January 11th, 2014, 06:40 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Note to self: 17yo DD doesn't get enough calcium in her diet.
Old January 12th, 2014, 09:27 AM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

I read it the same way too, Mrs. X.

snafu's note to self - make steamed brocolli more often - with flavored olive oil (DS & I both like it)
Old January 13th, 2014, 12:48 PM
is never to loud.

Since we're on the topic of supplements... Here's one: Fish Oil Omega-3.

My mother attested to its benefits. My daughter did and several people. I actually bought some and took one daily for awhile. How long? Meh... Until I got tired of buying them...

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/f...e-201307126467

I eat plenty of vegetables and fishy foods. Had a physical early last year and the Doc said I was in good health.

I'm not going to take any sides when it come to supplements and one's personal health. I do believe supplements can aid/help people if prescribed or recommended by a doctor. I also believe it's up to the individual to do a little research on what supplements are prescribed or recommended.