Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Health and Wellness > General Health

General Health Discuss issues related to General Health

Old March 13th, 2016, 08:36 PM

Catwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Menopausal mood swings....:(

Whos been through it?,Im 43 and had a hysterectomy at 41 where my ovaries were left in only. But I know 2 years later they have pretty much stopped working due to me not getting any monthly symptoms any more. Im finding the mood swings hard sometimes. I can go from feeling ok and happy to feeling overwhelmed and hating people in a very short space of time,resulting in tears and frustration.
I have talked to my husband about it and explained sometimes Im having a hard time and why,so at least I have explained to him whats going on.Sometimes I feel like running away from everyone or hiding away with my tissue box. I have been trying to combat it with St Johns Wort tea and rescue remedy tablets,it does work. But I can quickly go into a rage and verbally attack my husband easily,or get mad at the kids. Ive read that all this can be normal as it happens to some.

I am quite interested in herbal remedies rather than HRT or anything like that. I have been reading up and there are many herbal options to try.

How have you dealt with it?. Its not fair I am going through it 10 years earlier than I am supposed to,maybe that has something to do with it too?

Last edited by Catwoman; March 13th, 2016 at 08:51 PM.
Old March 14th, 2016, 05:03 AM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Menopausal mood swings....:(

On a husbands point of view and how to cope with menopausal mood swings... I took up reading. A lot.

For the most part. I don't think men really understand the "why" about the mood swings - I didn't.
Old March 14th, 2016, 10:49 AM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute

I'm nearly 52, and i've not had the mood swings (they kindly tell me at home i'm permanently grumpy, lol), but still get the hot flushes (5 years), and am annoyed at the insomnia. Doc said best treatment is HRT, but i'm not keen either.
Old March 14th, 2016, 11:08 AM

Catwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot2loud View Post
On a husbands point of view and how to cope with menopausal mood swings... I took up reading. A lot.

For the most part. I don't think men really understand the "why" about the mood swings - I didn't.
The mood swings are all down to our major hormone imbalance, as during menopause we have fluctuating levels and they govern our bodies as women. Some women are lucky and dont get symptoms,but most experience a big change sometimes making us feel depressed, sad, anxiety etc.

Its not fair really,us ladies give birth and then we get a double whammy getting menopause and all the problems that go along with it.
Old March 14th, 2016, 02:14 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

I am not menopausal, but I do get some major mood swings with PMS!

As I've gotten older, I've started recognizing the signs of when one is coming and so I do a variety of things to offset them:

1) Get exercise, especially walking or running in the sunshine if possible
2) Positive thought/prayer/meditation, 0r a nap!
3) Set my goals very low for that day. Frustration is a trigger!
4) Go out with friends. I'm more likely to hide my bad mood in public.
5) Just tell my family that I'm in a bad mood so I'm retreating to my bedroom for a bit.

This does not stop the hormones from fluctuating. It's about finding ways to cope with the fluctuation. I'll let you know if they still work when I'm menopausal!
Old March 14th, 2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyVanPelt View Post
I am not menopausal, but I do get some major mood swings with PMS!

As I've gotten older, I've started recognizing the signs of when one is coming and so I do a variety of things to offset them:

1) Get exercise, especially walking or running in the sunshine if possible
2) Positive thought/prayer/meditation, 0r a nap!
3) Set my goals very low for that day. Frustration is a trigger!
4) Go out with friends. I'm more likely to hide my bad mood in public.
5) Just tell my family that I'm in a bad mood so I'm retreating to my bedroom for a bit.

This does not stop the hormones from fluctuating. It's about finding ways to cope with the fluctuation. I'll let you know if they still work when I'm menopausal!

I like your list Lucy I think its really helpful....I agree with all of it and am going to try some of your ideas.

Its quite easy to fly into a rage over small things I have found lol......and then I just want to cry.Yesterday I was cooking dinner and I just started crying into the fry pan and hid my face from my family,I actually pretended it was the onions I was chopping.I then remembered I had some rescue remedy pastiles/lollies in the bedroom so I had a couple and felt better....It was all over something I got a bit snippy about with my husband and then I was mad which led to frustration and tears,I didnt tell him I was crying as I felt better after having my rescue remedy. Im trying not to drive him away, but things just make me so mad!!.....Im lucky I dont have the hot and cold sweats and head aches I guess..so I must remember that.
Old March 15th, 2016, 10:19 PM

So today I was doing some research and have bought some St Johns Wort tablets and some Black Cohosh tablets, aparently when taken in tandem once a day they are very good for menopause.Took one tablet of SJW this afternoon and felt better,happier,so I may be onto something?....only going to try it once a day for a week at first.
Old September 1st, 2016, 12:54 AM

gopi007bond is on a distinguished road

Yes it happens that mind swings in menopause. I do agree. But u need to be calm and composed.
Old September 1st, 2016, 03:32 AM

Annsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond repute

What are your tips for remaining calm and composed when you are having your menopausal mood swings gopi007bond?

How long have you been menopausal, what do you do to get through it?
There’s one major problem with giving grandparents legal access to their grandchildren. People who inflicted verbal, physical and sexual abuse on their children are then given access to inflict trauma on yet another generation. ~ Wayne and Tamara
Old September 1st, 2016, 07:49 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

LOL. Tried (but was unsuccessful) to give you reputation for that, Anns.