Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Health and Wellness > General Health

General Health Discuss issues related to General Health

Old June 30th, 2016, 08:23 AM

skyisthelimit is on a distinguished road
Saving time and energy

Hello, guys! I went to my doctor yesterday to get prescription and he told me about *edited to remove name of product*. He said with that software it allows me to access prescription thru my smartphone so it saves me time and energy. How do you guys feel about it?

Last edited by KayKay; June 30th, 2016 at 11:32 AM.
Old June 30th, 2016, 11:31 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Saving time and energy

skyisthelimit, we have a strict No Advertising policy here. I edited your post to remove the name of the product.

I have never considered calling in a prescription refill (or having my doctor's office call in a prescription) to take hardly any time or energy at all. Maybe things are different where I live? My pharmacy has an automated refill request line. It takes approximately one minute to call, enter the refill number, and confirm the pickup time. If it is a new prescription, the doctor's office does the work for me.
Old June 30th, 2016, 10:57 PM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be really concerned that the prescription usage isn't being reviewed properly, to be honest. Our Dr always checks the notes each time a prescription repeat is requested to make sure it is still appropriate. (Same for all of nz). Depending on what the medicine is and your general state of health, you can only get one, maybe two repeats without seeing the doc anyway.
Old July 1st, 2016, 12:05 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs X View Post
Depending on what the medicine is and your general state of health, you can only get one, maybe two repeats without seeing the doc anyway.
You're kidding, really??? Gee, and here I am grousing about having to get blood drawn every six months to keep my thyroid replacement hormone prescription (that I have taken for 25 years) going!
Old July 1st, 2016, 03:49 PM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayKay View Post
You're kidding, really??? Gee, and here I am grousing about having to get blood drawn every six months to keep my thyroid replacement hormone prescription (that I have taken for 25 years) going!
Lol, yes, the GP would expect you to rock up to the clinic once every year or two to make sure you are still otherwise healthy!

I'm just thinking about a case where the Dr doesn't know the patient very well, but that patient is phobic about needles, and gets someone else to go and take the blood test?- Yes, sigh, this happens.

While your GP has been your Dr for a long time, and would know you are responsible, for someone else would a Dr be able to pick up something else going on related to a (otherwise well managed) chronic condition without a proper clinical examination?

- I realise we might view this a bit differently here where there is supposed to be public health funding, but i think the idea of the type of app mentioned above is a very bad one, lol.
Old July 1st, 2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Lol, yes, the GP would expect you to rock up to the clinic once every year or two to make sure you are still otherwise healthy!

I'm just thinking about a case where the Dr doesn't know the patient very well, but that patient is phobic about needles, and gets someone else to go and take the blood test?- Yes, sigh, this happens.

While your GP has been your Dr for a long time, and would know you are responsible, for someone else would a Dr be able to pick up something else going on related to a (otherwise well managed) chronic condition without a proper clinical examination?

- I realise we might view this a bit differently here where there is supposed to be public health funding, but i think the idea of the type of app mentioned above is a very bad one, lol.
Maybe we're talking about two different things. I go to the Dr twice per year to get a check up -- more than most people but it is a quick in-and-out -- and blood drawn to make sure everything is status quo. If it is, he gives me a prescription with 5 refills. The pharmacy will only fill one month's worth at a time, so I get the initial prescription for month one, then each month call in a refill at the pharmacy for months two through six. I misunderstood your OP; I thought in my situation I'd have to go to the doctor monthly.

I can't imagine why anyone would seek health care and then send someone else in to get blood drawn. LOL. Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of going to the doctor in the first place to get a diagnosis? What would happen in that case (assuming that all sorts of safeguards were ignored, such as blood type and the usual oral confirming of personal data) is that the phobic person would then find themselves being treated or not treated based on someone else's test results.

Doctors are not allowed to issue an initial prescription without a proper clinical examination. Depending on the condition and situation, they put a certain number of "refills" on it and once those refills run out the patient needs to go back to be examined again. In rare cases, after confirming a communicable illness (strep throat, flu) in one of my kids when they were much younger, our GP would issue a prescription for the other and tell me to have it at the ready. But I think that was because we are friends.
Old July 1st, 2016, 11:36 PM

So, skyisthelimit, are you talking about getting refills, or getting a repeat prescription? (To get refills, we just go to the pharmacy and pick them up, so an app wouldn't help at all).
Old July 3rd, 2016, 08:18 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

I just phone the pharmacy when I need a refill (afterhours so that I can just leave a message) .... the pharmacy is less than 10 minutes from home ...

my doctors phone/fax the pharmacy when I need a new script.

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old July 22nd, 2016, 02:50 AM

skyisthelimit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
So, skyisthelimit, are you talking about getting refills, or getting a repeat prescription? (To get refills, we just go to the pharmacy and pick them up, so an app wouldn't help at all).
Perhaps, you are not aware of E-prescribing? Better if you google it first before you say something. I searched a link for you - <removed link>
Peace

Last edited by LucyVanPelt; July 22nd, 2016 at 05:41 AM. Reason: remove link
Old July 22nd, 2016, 05:46 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

I removed the link because it is an advertising page.

It's interesting that you would have access to e-scripts; my doctor uses it prescribe new meds for me, but I can't use their software myself. For refills, I just go myself to the pharmacy. I'm in the US-- maybe the laws are different from your country's?