Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Friend Forum > Other friendships

Other friendships Best friends, ex-friends, or any other friends

Old October 22nd, 2017, 08:18 PM

sierrataq is on a distinguished road
Unhappy My best friend is choosing a band over me?

Everyone has things they like; but my best friend has recently gotten a new obsession and it has completely--no joke--- taken over her life. She discovered the famous band Pink Floyd, which I'm sure you've all heard of, back in June. It grew from liking their music to her creating a blog to specifically talk about Pink Floyd 24/7 to buying a crap ton of Pink Floyd merch to not listening to any other kind of music. At first I was just a little annoyed, but she's literally ignoring our friendship now in favor of... a band. She's recently begun to flat-out ignore my texts in favor of her favorite Pink Floyd chat group on Discord (basically a gaming chat room if you don't know what Discord is). I understand that people have their favorite bands, actors, tv shows, and other things, but she's taking it to an extreme and I feel like I'm being completely alienated in favor of a band! We both go to the same local college and every day all she talks about is wanting to go home to watch Pink Floyd videos on Youtube and listen to their music and talk even more about them on this Pink Floyd Discord chat room she's in. I just don't know what to do; it's like her new best friend is Pink Floyd and I'm chopped liver. I've tried telling her she needs to cool it a little (in a nice way) but she always dismisses me, saying that she doesn't understand how I don't like Pink Floyd and that, quote on quote, Pink Floyd is "all [i] need in [my] life". I'm normally supportive of my friends and things they love, but I'm getting really ticked off at this point. When will I get my best friend back?!
Old October 22nd, 2017, 09:58 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My best friend is choosing a band over me?

Maybe it's time to make new friends in addition to her. It seems she has. Eventually she'll move on and twenty years from now you can laugh about it.

Tags
best friend, trouble