Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Anything & Everything Forum > News and Current Events

News and Current Events Discuss news and current events

Old September 11th, 2007, 01:29 PM

grubby will become famous soon enough
Re: Who is gonna be the next President?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerofinsults View Post
I'm not sure if you're agreeing with me or saying I"m wrong...lol. I think you're agreeing because I feel the same as you. I have the utmost respect for other cultures and believe we should all have our traditions. I myself married a Greek and was Greek Orthodox for 20 years (although I've never seen a Greek Orthodox Catholic community), we did just fine living in both worlds without expecting one to convert to the other.

Sorry, I guess I could have made that a little more clear. I was trying to tread lightly because of A) I was going off topic and B) because of the whole PC thing.

But yes, I completely agree and will leave it at, they came to America to start a better life. They did not come to America to build another (place name of country here).
Old September 11th, 2007, 03:39 PM

FLAlady is on a distinguished road

My friend was asking me about this the other day, illegal immigration, and I had no response. I don't keep up on politics, at all. I just go with the gut instinct of what's right. Living in Florida, I kind of feel like there should NOT be one national language. I don't live in South Florida, where the Spanish speaking cultures mostly reside. However, the writing I do in my job has to be translated for all of the Spanish speaking people in the state. I certainly am not the translator. But, who cares? I think it's interesting that the U.S. is diverse. It's great for our culture and our children. I love living in FLA, versus up north, because I think my kids get a better view of the world. Even with more than one language, it's a small slice of the world. More is better. You wouldn't want your kids to have the great opportunity of meeting people from all over the world? From having experience with other languages? This is the very reason people send their kids to private schools.

Last edited by FLAlady; September 11th, 2007 at 03:40 PM. Reason: left out an important word
Old September 11th, 2007, 03:50 PM

suzanne is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubby View Post
Sorry to butt in here, but I thought I would put in my 2 cents. My grandparents were immigrants from the Ukraine back in 1951. They left during a terrible war and came to America. They had no formal education, no money and already had 3 children (one died on the trip to America). They did not speak or write English. They moved to this country to have a better life for their kids. They busted their butts to learn English, to educate themselves on American laws and become US citizens. They were proud of there heritage, but part of that heritage was now being an American. Every child (they had 5 living children) not only excelled at school, but the ones that were on greencards were pushed to become citizens. Yes, their community was largely immigrants and they did set up their own church, which was Greek Orthodox Catholic, but that was because there were no churches of this kind around.

My point being, they came to America to start a better life. They did not come to America to build another Ukraine.

I'll get off my soap box now and just hope that I did not offend anyone.
That is absolutely beautifully put, Grubby! Should be written in stone to read every day!
Old September 14th, 2007, 05:42 AM

1dilwhosreal will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAlady
My friend was asking me about this the other day, illegal immigration, and I had no response. I don't keep up on politics, at all. I just go with the gut instinct of what's right. Living in Florida, I kind of feel like there should NOT be one national language. I don't live in South Florida, where the Spanish speaking cultures mostly reside. However, the writing I do in my job has to be translated for all of the Spanish speaking people in the state. I certainly am not the translator. But, who cares? I think it's interesting that the U.S. is diverse. It's great for our culture and our children. I love living in FLA, versus up north, because I think my kids get a better view of the world. Even with more than one language, it's a small slice of the world. More is better. You wouldn't want your kids to have the great opportunity of meeting people from all over the world? From having experience with other languages? This is the very reason people send their kids to private schools.
I can appreciate other cultures. Growing up, one of my best friends was from Panama, and I spoke spanish in her house. I loved her like a sister and we even kept in touch after her family was deported for being illegals.

I like the diversity, I like hearing the languages, I like knowing different cultures, and working with different cultures. I don't care if I have to push different numbers to get different languages (and in fact, this might be necessary because the call center probably isn't in the US or a "native" English speaking country at all).

The issue that Dodger raised is that the people she's living with don't want to live with different languages or cultures or diversity. They want to recreate their country here, and they preferred to remove a sign posted in a very public spot (highway near the airport to welcome people to Dearborn MI) in their native language rather than put english on it.

It is for that reason I'd argue that we should have a national language in which public business MUST be translated or transacted in English.

(This could turn into a nice debate where different opinions can coexist peacefully.)
Old September 14th, 2007, 06:08 AM

Dodgerofinsults is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I love living in FLA, versus up north, because I think my kids get a better view of the world.
FLAlady, do you think we don't have diversity in the North? I'm in the North and we have lots of diversity.

I also enjoy diversity and different cultures. I draw the line, and I don't care what nationality someone is, when they are getting food stamps, government grants just for moving here and are treated better than the citizens. I resent my country's flag being taken down and replaced with another country's flag - fly it along side the American flag - don't replace it. What makes someone else better than me?

I lived in another country - I NEVER forced my culture or traditions on anyone. I have noticed something though - people are the same everywhere. If you have a huge group of people from one culture in another country, they don't usually absorb what's going on around them, they stay in their own world. If you have a few they are very interested in what you're doing and why.

For the sake of argument, I have seen on several occasions, Americans yelling at someone in another country in English - I want ice in my drink, I want butter for my bread, blue, blue, I said I want this in blue why can't you understand .
Old October 9th, 2007, 01:40 AM
Jet Setter

trixxie is on a distinguished road

Anybody but Bush! Okay, I know he cannot run, but ya know...I am sick of the goings on.

The Dearborn thing about Iraqui's? I surprised when I visited there a few years back (2002?) and I saw my old house, just one block inside Detroit, and the cab driver said it was was all Middle Eastern families now, and he was right. Ten-mile Road...and my house was a few blocks inside. I have no idea if my Catholic church is in fact still Catholic, lol!
Anyways, saw my old house, but on the main drag all the stores were Arabic writing on the store windows. Weird.
Old October 11th, 2007, 08:37 AM

LadyLove will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubby View Post
Sorry to butt in here, but I thought I would put in my 2 cents. My grandparents were immigrants from the Ukraine back in 1951. They left during a terrible war and came to America. They had no formal education, no money and already had 3 children (one died on the trip to America). They did not speak or write English. They moved to this country to have a better life for their kids. They busted their butts to learn English, to educate themselves on American laws and become US citizens. They were proud of there heritage, but part of that heritage was now being an American. Every child (they had 5 living children) not only excelled at school, but the ones that were on greencards were pushed to become citizens. Yes, their community was largely immigrants and they did set up their own church, which was Greek Orthodox Catholic, but that was because there were no churches of this kind around.

My point being, they came to America to start a better life. They did not come to America to build another Ukraine.

I'll get off my soap box now and just hope that I did not offend anyone.
This post was refreshing to read. I am so sick and tired of reading comments from members who choose to put down immigrants. It is extremely offensive how they choose to bash a group of people who only want to be here for better opportunities. I agree with Grubby, that immigrants come here to start a better life. They are not here to "take over" the United States. This country is supposed to be a melting pot yet it does not seem like we will ever be passed the racism issues.
Old October 11th, 2007, 10:45 AM

1dilwhosreal will become famous soon enough

LadyLove, I understand exactly where you are coming from. I think if you reread some of the posts, you'll see the posts aren't racist. These people are living in communities where the specific immigrant population is rejecting them, not the other way around.

What do you think about the Am. Vet who cut down the flags from a store because the Mexican flag was above the American one, violating the U.S. flag code? And to get back on topic-- should the candidates for president be addressing this issue?
Old October 24th, 2007, 03:42 PM

Razorblade kiss is on a distinguished road

I may only be 16, But I'm still very aware of how polotics works.
My father is in that line of work, Though he isn't a high ranking politician.
He and I still have conversations about polotics...
And I'm taking a college government class. It's actually my favorite class...

It's still to early to be able to predict who will win the election in 08.
I think that our country could have a woman president. I see nothing wrong with it. But I just don't think that our country needs THAT woman president

I think that we could have an African american president as well...
I haven't researched him enough to decide weather or not he should have my support.

I really don't care about race or gender... As long as I feel the person is a strong leader and will make the best decisions for our country.
Old October 24th, 2007, 04:25 PM

Becca is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Who is gonna be the next President?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorblade kiss View Post
I may only be 16, But I'm still very aware of how polotics works.
My father is in that line of work, Though he isn't a high ranking politician.
He and I still have conversations about polotics...
And I'm taking a college government class. It's actually my favorite class...

It's still to early to be able to predict who will win the election in 08.
I think that our country could have a woman president. I see nothing wrong with it. But I just don't think that our country needs THAT woman president

I think that we could have an African american president as well...
I haven't researched him enough to decide weather or not he should have my support.

I really don't care about race or gender... As long as I feel the person is a strong leader and will make the best decisions for our country.

Razorblade kiss, it is so refreshing to hear a 16 yr old speak the way you. I'll bet you growup to do wonderful things.