Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Step-families

Old July 29th, 2014, 02:35 AM

itsmelord is on a distinguished road
parenting time

My ex and I have been divorced for 7 years. in that 7 years she has moved 3 times once over 100 miles to our hometown. I gave up a great job to follow my children as I wanted to be involved. she has had them in 4 different school systems and now they attend a school one block away from my home my new wife and I are bying. But now my ex is wanting to move the kids to a homeschool co-op that is 30 miles from my home. She lives about 15 miles closer to the co-op than I do. should I fight this move? my wife and I have been praying about seeking joint 50/50 custody as now I only get them every other weekend and one day a week. I talked to the kids and they want to spend more time at my house if they could and they tell me they are not 100% wanting to switch schools. What do you think?
Old July 29th, 2014, 05:22 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: parenting time

I think you need to focus on what is best for the kids and make your decisions based on that. IMO, stability is very important and you may be best suited to provide that. Have you considered primary custody?
Old July 29th, 2014, 10:34 AM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

state are you in and what's your divorce decree

my advice is look at your child custody agreement and talk to a lawyer (mine has a clause about both parents have equal rights to make educational decisions).

how old are your kids in some states the kids (13 & up) can decide who they want to live with
Old July 30th, 2014, 12:58 PM

itsmelord is on a distinguished road

In my divorce it is stated we both have equal intup in medical and educational decisions. So if she does not agree it will have to go to the judge to decide. I hope it does not come to that but it may. Thanks I will look at what is best for the kids.
Old July 30th, 2014, 02:44 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

I might put a hold on buying the house, if you can.
Old July 30th, 2014, 03:15 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

... my advice, before you talk to a lawyer find out who the best two in the area are and then do a consult with both of them.

two reasons

- if you get the same info from both you know you're good (then go with the one you like best) {if they tell you different things, consult with a third

-since you've consulted with the two best, neither can be used by your ex as it would be a conflict of interest
Old July 30th, 2014, 04:43 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu View Post
-since you've consulted with the two best, neither can be used by your ex as it would be a conflict of interest
Excellent advice!