Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > In-laws

Old September 22nd, 2008, 06:23 PM
She Who Must Be Obeyed

HisHeathenHoney has much to be proud ofHisHeathenHoney has much to be proud ofHisHeathenHoney has much to be proud of
*head, meet desk*

MIL just sent me an email invitation to a recipe exchange. Essentially, a recipe chain letter. (email the top name a recipe, switch the second name to the top, then forward to 20 friends).

OK, recipes are fairly innocuous. But I basically believe that chain letters are evil, an annoyance, a public nuisance, a waste of time. DEATH TO CHAINS!! Whether it's for "good luck" or money or recipes, I am against encouraging them in any way, on principle.

It's all very well for retired MIL. She has plenty of time on her hands and her friends are retired too. If they want to spend all their time writing down random recipes and emailing each other, more power to them.

I could send a recipe to the person at the head of the list (a cousin of MIL's), I don't really care about doing that. But I am most certainly not, under any circumstances, forwarding it to to 20 of my friends. Pretty much everyone I know is a busy mom (if that isn't redundant) with barely time to shower, and of the "snopes" generation, and will not look kindly upon me for clogging their inboxes with chain letters of any sort.

The email says "we could always use new recipes!" If we net generation moms want recipes, we look for them on google, duh.

If I ask DH, he will just tell me to ignore and delete it.

The chain letter says "if you can't participate please reply to let us know to be fair to those participating."

This is like the anniversary surprise party. It's something "nice" and "only a little bit of your time" so if I fuss about it or refuse to do this simple thing I look like a bad sport. I resent the p-a imposition which is to me what a chain letter represents.

Oh well. I've looked like a bad sport many times in my life, s'pose I shouldn't start developing thinner skin at my age. Think I'll be following what I know would be DH's suggestion. (Of course, he has the sense to delete things from his mom BEFORE reading them).

But it probably would be over the top to reply with a link to www.breakthechain.org, eh? (She wouldn't even get that it IS a chain, anyway, so she wouldn't understand the relevance.)
Old September 22nd, 2008, 06:43 PM

Lucybear is on a distinguished road
Re: *head, meet desk*

Blah I feel your pain HHH! I hate those chain mails. I swear I get about 2 or 3 a day on my cell phone (via text messages)

My ODD sends them to me all the time, but I don't have the heart to tell her "uhh mommy doesn't like those things, stop sending them" especially when I know she is thinking about me when she sends them. I just read them, then delete them, and she is non the wiser.

But I also think they are annoying and a waste of time.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 06:46 PM

latelearner will become famous soon enough

HHH,

I wouldn't bother even telling them that I didn't intend on participating - a chain is a chain is a chain.

If you wanted to send a recipe to the top of the list - knock yourself out - no biggee, but if you don't wanna, then don't. I hate this sh*t myself pardon the unappetizing vocabulary.

I can just see your MIL all aflutter at the computer sending off her emails to twenty people - just beside herself with how ENDEARING this is for the womenfolk of her family LOL.

(Now go get some ice for that nasty lump on your forehead)
Old September 22nd, 2008, 07:12 PM

quietlife is on a distinguished road

I cringe when I am sent a chain letter and therefore have no guilt in breaking the chain. It's an imposition. The ones that warm of death and something terrible happening are terrible. Recipes? Just google search.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 07:55 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Chains are meant to be broken. But then, that's the rebel in me coming out.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 08:21 PM

1dilwhosreal will become famous soon enough

As soon as I see it's a chain thing, I delete it. If you don't want the chain broken, don't send it to me.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 08:27 PM

Beth will become famous soon enough

This is a huge pet peeve of mine. I hate chain letters of all kinds. Not only are they a waste, but they send your email address all over the world. This is one of the ways you get spam. Hate them, don't read them, delete them. Ugh@!*$^*)$*)$__@_
Old September 22nd, 2008, 08:54 PM
She Who Must Be Obeyed

HisHeathenHoney has much to be proud ofHisHeathenHoney has much to be proud ofHisHeathenHoney has much to be proud of

I think maybe I should do it. Can I have all of your emails??

j/k

I deleted the email.

I found this. I will restrain myself from sending it to her.

"The Anti-Chain Letter."

http://www.perry.com/bizarre/antichn.html

UNCHAIIN MY HEARRTTTT, BABY SET ME FREEEEE
UNCHAIIN MY HEARRTTTT, 'CAUSE YOU DON' CARE ABOUT MEEEEEE

Last edited by HisHeathenHoney; September 22nd, 2008 at 09:01 PM. Reason: typo--I hate typos almost as much as I hate chain letters
Old September 22nd, 2008, 09:27 PM

quietlife is on a distinguished road

Well I was just going to lend you my sidecutters, but I see you managed to break the chain with your bare hands. Way to go HHH!

Oh please send it to her. I dare you!
Old September 22nd, 2008, 09:44 PM
She Who Must Be Obeyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietlife View Post
Well I was just going to lend you my sidecutters, but I see you managed to break the chain with your bare hands. Way to go HHH!

Oh please send it to her. I dare you!
She's too old-fashioned. She's only 70, but she's a generation or so "off", because her mother was a Sicilian immigrant who was 49 when MIL was born. She's innocent and naive like you would not believe. She would be so horrified by the sarcastic humor in that anti-chain letter, I think she wouldn't even understand it.

My MIL's "sins" are being clingy and intrusive and gullible and overly Suzy Sunshine. Ignoring her feels like ignoring an overfriendly puppy, zinging her--tempting as it is for the annoyance she causes me--would feel like kicking an overfriendly puppy. Big difference.