Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Anything & Everything Forum > News and Current Events

News and Current Events Discuss news and current events

Old June 6th, 2018, 12:47 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
RIP Kate Spade

Way back in 2000, I was an overwhelmed, frumpy feeling mom of two young kids in a new town. I remember that I was, fresh out of the med school poverty years, wearing ill-fitting, too big and probably 8 years out of style jeans and it was so, so hot. I was in a waiting room with fidgety DD, waiting for DS to finish his speech therapy session, sweaty and trying to placate 4yo DD who always was difficult when her brother got "attention" from the pretty therapists. And in waltzed one of the popular people I had been introduced to.

She was a banker's wife. Her kids (oldest same age as DS, youngest a year younger than DD) were dressed head to toe in pristine Tommy Hilfiger while my DD was at the age where she fought me over clothes and had some mismatched, probably dirty, outfit on. I tried to make eye contact and speak with her - her husband was trying to woo my doctor husband's business and I thought she might acknowledge me - but I got the look-down-nose-side-eye. She obviously didn't recognize me, one of the Invisibles.

There she sat, somehow as cool as a cucumber while I sweltered, reading a magazine and ignoring her kids, with her perfect makeup, Lilly Pulitzer sundress and the cutest little Kate Spade clutch. Parenting was easy for her, you see. Only I was struggling. In that moment, I hated myself and what I had become in this adventure called mothering.

I got home and cried to DH. He, of course, didn't understand and told me there was no reason I couldn't be wearing a Lilly Pulitzer dress and carrying a Kate Spade clutch. So I got online and ordered the biggest, most expensive damn Kate Spade purse I could find.

It came and I started carrying it, but I wasn't comfortable. I felt so guilty for spending the money, for wanting to be judged on the purse I carried. I called it my "revenge purse" and I was ashamed. Then... women would tell me they loved my purse and I'd abashedly confess why I bought it. That endeared me to them somehow, and I started making really quality friends.

One of the straps broke, and my friends gasped and suggested that I send it back to be repaired, but somehow it just seemed very appropriate to me to be carrying a gorgeous purse with a broken strap. It made me comfortable again.

Eventually that purse went the way of the donation pile, but from that moment Kate Spade entered my life as a close friend. I have Kate Spade glasses, Kate Spade shoes, Kate Spade purses (other ones), Kate Spade pajamas. She has always seemed to "get me."

She will be missed. RIP Kate Spade. Thank you for the joy you have given me.
Old June 6th, 2018, 05:42 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RIP Kate Spade

Sorry she's gone and you've lost a touchstone.

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old June 6th, 2018, 06:30 PM

rattlesnake is on a distinguished road

Sad that someone so young with seemingly so much to live for did this.

Ironically, I never heard of her before this past Christmas. I did not know what to get my DS's girlfriend (now wife) for Christmas. One of my DDs is into designer fashions, bags and shoes, etc., and she recommended a Kate Spade product so that is what I got her. She seemed happy with it.

I feel bad for Kate Spade's DD. :'(
Old June 6th, 2018, 06:41 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

That's a lovely story. Thank you for sharing it.