Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Health and Wellness > Weight Loss/Exercise

Weight Loss/Exercise Discuss issues related to Weight Loss and Exercise

Closed Thread

Old July 30th, 2008, 04:40 PM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Walking Club

How are you all going anyone have an update? - If you take yourself along a circuit by foot, do you use up the same amount of calories no matter how fast you go? (This is in relation to Maura's "smaller steps" question)?
Old July 31st, 2008, 09:51 PM

elaine will become famous soon enough

Oh, I forgot to update this past week! I had a great week last week- over 83,000 steps! (I'm not quite on track for that many this week, though.)

The pedometer has a formula it uses to figure out how many calories you burn. I don't know the formula, but it does take into consideration your speed and aerobic activity. It's not just a per step calculation. There have been days where I've walked fewer steps and burned more calories than some days when I've walked more steps. I also know it calculates I burn more calories if I walk 30 minutes consecutively and get into my aerobic zone than if I walk 10 minutes 3 different times during the day and walk the same number of steps.

Of course, I don't know that any device could be 100 percent accurate, but it's still a great tool and gives a good general idea of what's going on.

When you program the pedometer, it has you calculate your stride. This tells how far you walk with each step and the pedometer calculates your total distance based on this information. So, if you change your stride, it will change the distance the pedometer estimates you walked, however, it will not chance the step count.

Aim for success, not perfection. Never give up your right to be wrong, because then you will lose the ability to learn new things and move forward with your life. -- Dr. David Burns
Old August 5th, 2008, 02:53 AM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute

Walking the dog, walking to and from the train now and then. But the exercise this week has to be gardening! Well, cleaning up after the deep winter storms of the past week. Mulch anyone?
Old August 5th, 2008, 09:28 AM

Beth will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthfanatic43 View Post
Hi there everyone,

I am 43 and a firm believer in walking at least three times a week. I also belong to a medical scheme known as Discovery who encourages everyone to walk at least 10 000 steps a day. Use stairs instead of the elevator and yes make use of Daly dozen which consists of 12 exercises that works the whole body without straining yourself. It takes approximately 10 to 15 minutes of your time on a daily basis.

Personally I do not go on a diet but I do believe that you need to try and combine your food correctly as my wife always say. By following the Daly dozen program I have lost just over 6 pounds in two weeks time.

Nice chatting to all of you.

Cheers

healthfanatic43
Welcome to the forum healthfanatic43.

Question on the Daily Dozen exercises. There are several mentioned on the Internet, Golf Daily Dozen, Marine Corps Daily Dozen, Pilates, Taekwondo, etc. Since I am not familiar with the Daily Dozen, could you please be more specific on which you refer to? A link would be very helpful too. Thanks in advance.

I use to be a fan of the Royal Canadian Air Force exercise program 20 years ago. But now that I am older, I think something a little more subtle would be of interest. Beth
Old August 12th, 2008, 02:45 PM
maura

Been forgetting to put on the pedometer when running out the door. I think my coffee is too strong. But I am doing really good.
Old August 12th, 2008, 06:38 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

maura - what kind of pedometer do you have? The one I had didn't work very well.
Old August 14th, 2008, 04:35 AM
maura

Th Omron - looks like it says G Walking Style? Bilink on the dvd which I have yet to do anything with. But I am still walking.
I have noticed looser jewelery and waist in clothes. I think I have lost maybe 3 pounds. Now, to KEEP it there!
Old August 14th, 2008, 04:33 PM
maura

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu View Post
maura - what kind of pedometer do you have? The one I had didn't work very well.
Finally found the shipping statement: Omron HJ - 7201TC Pocket Pedometer with Advanced Omron Health Mangement Software (which I am so lazy I haven't even downloaded it yet)

Need to remember not to leave it on jammies on bed when getting dressed.
Old August 14th, 2008, 05:46 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

You have to down load something
Old August 15th, 2008, 05:30 AM
maura

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu View Post
You have to down load something
Its a health management software cd and here I go. I am gonna just put it into the computer and see what happens. Ok, it took all the info in the pedometer and put it in a file that comes up and tells me I need to walk more.
I have been just playing, now it's time to get down to business and walk. Maybe a new pair of nike shocks will help...gotta go....

Last edited by maura; August 15th, 2008 at 06:38 AM.
Closed Thread