Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Health and Wellness > Weight Loss/Exercise

Weight Loss/Exercise Discuss issues related to Weight Loss and Exercise

Old January 5th, 2008, 12:50 PM

grubby will become famous soon enough
Exercise buddy

Okay, I was wondering if anyone wanted an exercise buddy for the new year. Not a diet buddy (because I HATE diets). My goal is to exercise at least 30 minutes a day 3-4 days a weel, whether it be walking or weights. I have no set goal to lose weight, just to increase my exercise but I would be happy to be a cheering section for somebody else too.

Any takers?
Old January 5th, 2008, 05:34 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Exercise buddy

You're on.

When do you want to start? Or what days should we "check in" on?

Who else is joining?

(Does the time I spend doing any of my physical theraphy exercises count?)
Old January 5th, 2008, 08:41 PM
She Who Must Be Obeyed

HisHeathenHoney has much to be proud ofHisHeathenHoney has much to be proud ofHisHeathenHoney has much to be proud of

OK, I'm in!

I went to the gym three times this week (bless Lady of America with child care ).

I have two goals: One is to lose some weight--not a a ton, but the last pesky 10 pounds that pregnancy and hypothyroidism left me with. I just got a dosage adjustment (higher dosage) in December and I am feeling like a human being again instead of a large block of ice--I actually made it to the gym. So I am feeling like maybe I can do this!

My second goal is, DH and I have signed on for a trip to Peru in April, and we're hiking the Inca Trail to Macchu Picchu. I would really like not to embarrass myself with our guides and fellow travelers by out-of-shapeness. So it's exercise for me!

So, what are we all doing?

I've injured myself before by picking things up too quickly, so I am being conservative. I have just been doing elliptical and treadmill---brisk walking pace, no running (I need to be cautious of my knees--maybe running later. when I build more muscle).

I also did my 20 minute Pilates DVD. Ouch, I learned how out of shape I am. But, it's a start.
Old January 6th, 2008, 12:15 AM

Annsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond repute

I'll join in!

I'll have to start it from next week though But only because it's when the kids go back to school and I've actually got an incentive to get up earlier - the only way I can do exercise is by starting at 6 in the morning, before anyone else (other than Hubby who's already left for work by then) is up.

I've got my favourite workout DVD which has multi workouts and I'll probably only manage to do three of the five for now (and they include the warm up and cool down! ) and I will try my new Latino Dance DVD. Also DH got me an inflatable punch bag for Christmas, so I'll practise my Karate. Next week I'll be starting back at Karate classes too! Can't wait to be at a point when I am not actually out of puff with a soaking wet, red face by half an hour into the class!

If I ever won the lottery the only indulgence I would have would be to hire a chef and personal trainer - I'd be well sorted then!
Old January 7th, 2008, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu View Post
You're on.

When do you want to start? Or what days should we "check in" on?

Who else is joining?

(Does the time I spend doing any of my physical theraphy exercises count?)
I would PT counts, especially if you are working on stretches (which, from what I remember, is a definite work). Okay, but if you are spending the day in the whirlpool or a TENS unit, that's cheating. lol

I was wondering about what days to check in too. I know Wednesdays are pretty krappy for me because I have night class (starting the 22). But any other day is good for me. Or we could all post on the days that are convenient for each of us. I just know that I do much better when I know someone is checking up on me. lol.
Old January 7th, 2008, 08:08 PM

nonnymouse will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: Exercise buddy

Does 20 minutes of walking and 90 minutes of chasing three kids in the park count?

If so count me in. It would help to have someplace to be accountable at.

It is cold here but sunny enough that I could get then out more than I do. On those cloudy days it is more the mental effort of dressing 3 kids to go out (and redressing as DD1 sometimes gets undressed while I dress the baby, arg) than the physical act of exercise itself that keeps me from going out.

We have an old style exercise bike of the porch I can use on big rain days if I can keep the kids at bay for a bit.

Pt counts, it really works to. I've seen amazing improvements when people actually follow their PT programs.
Old January 13th, 2008, 07:14 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

How's everyone doing? I started today

I've got my workout plan for the next 4-5 weeks now:
(I'm starting slow) I'm not counting my pt exercises.

Tues. reclined exercise bike for 7 min. (what pt suggested)- will eventaully increase time & add more exercises

Thurs. same as above & swim/play in fitness center heated pool with DS & DD (if she wants to join)

Sat/Sun. When DS is home swim/play in the pool with him. Weekends he's with his dad I'll do the exercise bike & swim laps
Old January 14th, 2008, 06:21 AM

Good job snafu.

I started yesterday too. I walked for 30 minutes on the treadmill. Unfortunately, I will be taking today off. I meant to get up early and do it, but I was in the ER until 2 a.m. for a kidney stone, . Ouch, that hurts. I know, excuses, excuses.

How is everyone else doing.
Old January 14th, 2008, 07:46 AM

Annsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you're feeling better grubby, sounds painful.

I did ok last Monday morning. Up at 6 did 20 mins of my workout DVD - the warm up and cool down Ok, so it's 20 mins more than I would have otherwise done!

Since then, things have happened and it's all gone to pot. I'm going to try and work on things this week so I don't have any excuses for next week.

Once I'm up and running I should be ok. My Karate resumes this week too, so I'm hoping that helps kick start me again.
Old January 14th, 2008, 07:49 AM
She Who Must Be Obeyed

HisHeathenHoney has much to be proud ofHisHeathenHoney has much to be proud ofHisHeathenHoney has much to be proud of

Argh, last week not so hot. The FIRST week of the year I made it to the gym 3 times--did Pilates twice, and three bouts on the elliptical or treadmill.

Last week, DS2 decided to fall and needed stitches, DS1 sprained his arm, and my mom was visiting--which supposedly is a help and yet somehow when she's here I never manage to make it to the gym! (Mostly though--it was all that time in the ER! Bleah!)

I'm going to go to Pilates at the gym at 9:30 today though! Not gonna fall off the wagon permanently!

ETA: I did it! I went and did the Pilates class and then a half hour on the elliptical!

But then I was stupid and weighed myself afterwards. Why I was expecting anything to change in one workout, I don't know. Stupid me. :P

Last edited by HisHeathenHoney; January 14th, 2008 at 12:16 PM.