Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Friend Forum > Other friendships

Other friendships Best friends, ex-friends, or any other friends

Old July 30th, 2018, 10:55 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Friends who need help

Oh no. Social Workers have very clear ethical boundaries with their client relationships. Your friend could be facing penalties up to revocation of her license if she doesn't maintain that professional integrity.

You were right to warn her. Maybe she's not talking to you because deep down she knows you're right. I'm sorry.
Old July 31st, 2018, 02:39 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

I hope she heeds my warning. I am worried about her, but I'm not responsible for her.
Old August 6th, 2018, 07:36 PM

PeeWeeMomOf3 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyVanPelt View Post
Welp, I went and broke this friendship.

Sadly, this person works in social work. She often complains about being overworked, underpaid, and her time off not being respected.

Last week, a group of us were supposed to get together, and she insisted on bringing one of her consumer's. I said no. She got very angry with me and asked me why. The more I explained healthy boundaries between work and personal life, the angrier she got. She finally insisted that her consumers are her friends and insisted that I accept them as I would a member of her family. Of course, I can't.

I am very worried about her mental state. But I can't help her, either. I ended up apologizing because I crossed the line when I gave her unsolicited advice on how to do her job. Now she won't talk to me.
Wait... this the same friend that was in the hospital? Oh dear. I think you were right to stand firm on a healthy boundary. Maybe her medical issues are contributing to a lapse in sound judgement? I'm sorry she lashed out at you for speaking the truth to her. :-(
Old August 6th, 2018, 07:43 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWeeMomOf3 View Post
Wait... this the same friend that was in the hospital? Oh dear. I think you were right to stand firm on a healthy boundary. Maybe her medical issues are contributing to a lapse in sound judgement? I'm sorry she lashed out at you for speaking the truth to her. :-(
Thank you. Our friend code was always to tell the truth in love. Maybe she'll come around.
Old August 6th, 2018, 07:46 PM

PeeWeeMomOf3 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyVanPelt View Post
Thank you. Our friend code was always to tell the truth in love. Maybe she'll come around.
I hope so. Sometimes people need to think it over for awhile and then then do come around and reach out.
Old October 29th, 2018, 09:48 PM

Pad has a spectacular aura about

YOU CERTAINLY ARE A LOVELY FRIEND, LUCY!

I also think that your friend should appreciate such a loving, wise friend in you! You were there by her side, even when her own mother was not. A true blue friend indeed!

To be honest, I would theoretically not have fathomed that a magnetic, supportive friend like you would ever have any friendship end. I honestly do not believe you gave your friend unsolicited advice, as that social outing that she planned to bring her consumer to very much involved you. I would presume that your friend will come around.

I actually was in a similar situation to you not long ago, which I posted about in my thread about what I should do regarding my friendís toxic marriage. I really do not feel I did anything wrong, but my friend cut me out, partly through all the non-rapport between me and her that resulted from her difficult situation. A part of me feels like I got the short-end of the stick after I helped her through in many ways, including covering up. Oh, well.

Good luck to you!