Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Anything & Everything Forum > Open Chat

Open Chat Discuss anything & everything. (You know the rules-- keep it clean.)

Old October 4th, 2017, 08:35 PM

TheAverageMartin is on a distinguished road
Sharing Some News - Help On YT Video

Bonjour!

I am a musician. A beatboxer, actually. I read that there's going to be a competition on November in my country, but I need to get registered with a 2' video, and here is where I need some opinions..

Say you guys are the judges who watch these videos..
-What would you like to see? What wouldn't you like to see?
-What would surprise you? What would make you go "oh, c'mon! You idiot!"
-Where would you like the videos to be recorded? Out in the open with a wide view of the city on the background, or an enclosed, minimalist background?

I've seen that some beatboxers from the FB group are WAY big for their boots. So much so that the beatboxing ends up being really bad.
-How would you qualify the charisma/talent ratio? Which one would be more important for you?
-Would you enjoy the video more if it had some humor, even though it's 2' and specifically for a beatboxing competition?
Old October 4th, 2017, 10:57 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sharing Some News - Help On YT Video

I'm afraid I am totally unqualified to offer any input since I am pretty far removed from the demographics of someone who would judge a beatboxing competition.

The videos and acts that I like pay attention to the backgrounds (i.e. not stark white backgrounds with a full trashcan in the corner). I like outdoor settings with unique aspects, like a brick wall, pretty staircase, or colorful picnic table. I also like videos that change the setting (and clothing) back and forth a couple of times.

I think talent is more important than charisma, but I would reject someone who had NO charisma. I like humor, but mostly I like when the artist looks like he/she is happy and enjoying themselves.

But then... I like happy music. Mostly I think the video needs to be a true representation of who you are.
Old October 4th, 2017, 11:21 PM

TheAverageMartin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayKay View Post
[...] Mostly I think the video needs to be a true representation of who you are.
Didn't think about that. Taking note!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayKay View Post
[...] outdoor settings with unique aspects [...]
Also, this is a great idea! Instead of the typical stuff, a change would be something perfect.
Every beatboxer records in bathrooms because of the acoustics.
Old October 5th, 2017, 09:58 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Be on the lookout for other places with great acoustics then. Stairwells, alcoves, or parking garages maybe?

Honestly, I know every person under the age of 50 doesn't care about it, but bathrooms really are gross places when you think about it. I don't enjoy seeing a picture or a video of someone in one (mirror selfie takers, I'm talking to you! Close the toilet lid, pull the shower curtain, and clean the toothpaste off your mirror before taking the picture, dang!) I'd be willing to bet that the judges would find a different location refreshing even if it's only on a subconscious level.
Old October 7th, 2017, 04:10 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes High School auditoriums have great acoustics. And my high school the back row of the auditorium had Acoustics that you could hear a whisper when you are on stage

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old October 7th, 2017, 05:18 PM

Oh yes!! Good idea, snafu! Or train stations.
Old October 7th, 2017, 06:00 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

Some small towns have band shelters....good acoustics

Old October 7th, 2017, 06:01 PM
future crazy cat lady

Also Google "whispering arches" to find one near you....that would be cool if you could get permission to film

Old Yesterday, 06:53 AM

MsLadyBug888 is on a distinguished road

That's awesome @TheAverageMartin! I was going to suggest a place with good acoustics (that is not a bathroom ) but I see people have suggested that already. Anyway wishing you luck and hope you'll give a link to the video