Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Pets

Old August 16th, 2018, 08:42 AM

Jessspin01 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Finding my dog a new home

I was able to take my dog after my divorce. She's 4 years old and she's a miniature pinscher mix. Her name is Zoey. I'm currently living with my uncle and his dog. He allowed me to bring her and have her live with me here. I have been looking at apartments for months. I'm working on saving my money for a down payment. I also need a car since my ex got that in the divorce. I have a lot on my plate right now. I feel hopeless with not being able to find a place where I can bring her with me that's also affordable and within a reasonable distance from where I live now. I work from home at the moment, but soon I will need a new job because my current position is relocating and I am unable to accommodate the move. I can only afford so much for rent and most corporate complexes near me are too expensive. I don't want to live in the city because it's too far from any job I'm gonna get, the taxes are higher, and all my family, friends, boyfriend are here.

My mom is super guilting me for even thinking of having to find Zoey a new home. There are a ton of privately owned apartments all around this area and for miles around and a lot of them are affordable. Once I get a car, I will drive around and look, but I have to say I am working with a realtor and so far she's come up with nothing that takes dogs. My mom's friend has a dog rescue and is willing to help me find her a new home. This would be good for her. This way I am in charge of who she goes with instead of dropping her off at some shelter or rescue where I have no idea what happens to her. I can go see the potential adopter's home and bring her a few times to get used to them and make sure it's what I want for her.

I think either way, I'm gonna be devastated to lose her. Whether or not I do now or wait until the last minute and know that I can't find an apartment that'll take her. I just don't know what to do. Half of my family is like, "you gotta do what's best for you." and the other half is like "you can't give up your dog. She's great. That's horrible." I'm conflicted. I love her so much and she was the one good thing that came out of my marriage, but if I can't afford a place and be able to bring her what am I supposed to do?
Old August 16th, 2018, 09:05 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Finding my dog a new home

That's so sad. I'm sorry Jessspin01.

Is your uncle willing to let you stay there for a little longer? It sounds to me like the first thing you ought to do is find the new job, then find the new apartment (can your boyfriend drive you around if you give him gas money?), THEN decide about your dog.

And I hate to say it because I don't know if it will upset you, but should you offer Zoey to your ex before giving her to a stranger since (presumably) he cares a lot about her too?
Old August 16th, 2018, 09:15 AM

Jessspin01 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayKay View Post
That's so sad. I'm sorry Jessspin01.

Is your uncle willing to let you stay there for a little longer? It sounds to me like the first thing you ought to do is find the new job, then find the new apartment (can your boyfriend drive you around if you give him gas money?), THEN decide about your dog.

And I hate to say it because I don't know if it will upset you, but should you offer Zoey to your ex before giving her to a stranger since (presumably) he cares a lot about her too?
Hey Kaykay,

My ex won't take her. He doesn't want to be in the same situation I am currently in (of having difficulty finding an apartment with a dog.) I've offered to my mom, my cousins, and no one can take her. My uncle is allowing me to stay for an indefinite amount of time. I don't even have enough saved for an apartment yet. So it's not like this happening right now. Maybe once I start driving around, I'll find a place that takes dogs, but I'm just not hopeful because every privately owned apartment I've come across said no pets. Yes, I do need to focus on the job first. Well car first, then job, then apartment once I've saved enough.
Old September 10th, 2018, 06:47 PM

victorious is on a distinguished road

I'm so sorry about your situation. I know what you mean about places not allowing pets and it's frustrating.

Since your uncle is letting you stay with him for an indefinite period of time even though it is not ideal stay there for a while, find a job after yours relocates, save up for things like a car and then try to find an affordable place that allows dogs. Change affects them. One of my dogs was never the same after my mom died. I'm sure your dog is confused not only being in a new home but getting used to not seeing your ex-husband anymore. Staying in one place for a while would help both Zoey and you, not just to save but to heal I and it's nice to be close to family after a relationship ends.

I am crossing my fingers that everything works out well for you.
Old October 9th, 2018, 11:43 AM

chissus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessspin01 View Post
I was able to take my dog after my divorce. She's 4 years old and she's a miniature pinscher mix. Her name is Zoey. I'm currently living with my uncle and his dog. He allowed me to bring her and have her live with me here. I have been looking at apartments for months. I'm working on saving my money for a down payment. I also need a car since my ex got that in the divorce. I have a lot on my plate right now. I feel hopeless with not being able to find a place where I can bring her with me that's also affordable and within a reasonable distance from where I live now. I work from home at the moment, but soon I will need a new job because my current position is relocating and I am unable to accommodate the move. I can only afford so much for rent and most corporate complexes near me are too expensive. I don't want to live in the city because it's too far from any job I'm gonna get, the taxes are higher, and all my family, friends, boyfriend are here.

My mom is super guilting me for even thinking of having to find Zoey a new home. There are a ton of privately owned apartments all around this area and for miles around and a lot of them are affordable. Once I get a car, I will drive around and look, but I have to say I am working with a realtor and so far she's come up with nothing that takes dogs. My mom's friend has a dog rescue and is willing to help me find her a new home. This would be good for her. This way I am in charge of who she goes with instead of dropping her off at some shelter or rescue where I have no idea what happens to her. I can go see the potential adopter's home and bring her a few times to get used to them and make sure it's what I want for her.

I think either way, I'm gonna be devastated to lose her. Whether or not I do now or wait until the last minute and know that I can't find an apartment that'll take her. I just don't know what to do. Half of my family is like, "you gotta do what's best for you." and the other half is like "you can't give up your dog. She's great. That's horrible." I'm conflicted. I love her so much and she was the one good thing that came out of my marriage, but if I can't afford a place and be able to bring her what am I supposed to do?
Would your doctor be willing to write a letter saying you need your dog for your emotional and mental well being? We are landlords and we must by law allow pets for those reasons.