Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Anything & Everything Forum > News and Current Events

News and Current Events Discuss news and current events

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old November 8th, 2016, 11:53 PM
Catwoman Catwoman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: NZ
Posts: 781
Catwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: U.S. election is tomorrow (2016)

OMG!!!....i thought i was watching a bad movie??
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old November 9th, 2016, 04:43 AM
LucyVanPelt's Avatar
LucyVanPelt LucyVanPelt is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,353
LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: U.S. election is tomorrow (2016)

Catwoman, these last 2 years of watching good candidates drop out and being left with these two have been a nightmare. As KayKay said, One of these two candidates" was going to win.

In my area, there's a consensus of, "You can't complain if you don't vote!" I get to complain!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old November 9th, 2016, 09:33 AM
Catwoman Catwoman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: NZ
Posts: 781
Catwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: U.S. election is tomorrow (2016)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyVanPelt View Post
Catwoman, these last 2 years of watching good candidates drop out and being left with these two have been a nightmare. As KayKay said, One of these two candidates" was going to win.

In my area, there's a consensus of, "You can't complain if you don't vote!" I get to complain!
I still think that Hillary was the lesser of two evils. Mr Trump is a businessman and businessmen step on others to make it to the top and stay there.We have that problem here in NZ.We are currently being ruled by a man at the head of the National party who is an ex investment banker.Only trouble is he lives on the flash side of town,is a millionaire and only wants to look after his rich mates.In our system the rich get the biggest tax breaks as our govt believes these people are investing more back into the economy so they get rewarded for being rich,meanwhile the middle to lower classes get the biggest penalties.We now have big divide between rich and poor here as a result. We have had cuts to our public health system with people on longer waiting lists for operations,people who are slipping through our mental health system with little to no help and threats to extend the pension age to 67. We also have a rising drug problem with meth and P, which is increasing our violent crime. Our Prime Minister (President) also thought it was a good thing to let in as many migrants and travellers to apply for residency here and buy up all the property pushing up prices when we have a big shortage of jobs and employment,with businesses going off shore in smaller towns. Meanwhile taking advantage of all the cheap easily exploited labour. This in turn has made employer treat Kiwis like crap as job seekers,all because they know they can.Our govt makes these ridiculous changes that help no one,but make the books look good,but in the end its a disaster.With the rich blocking their ears and closing their eyes,and the rich keep voting him in!!.We too had no one else who had good policies.We have a blathering idiot leading the opposition party who wouldnt know what he was doing which would is scarey in itself......I couldnt believe Trump hadn't paid taxes for 18 years claiming his businesses were running at losses,that would be costing the average American more money that they have to many business people negative gear their assets to escape paying taxes and its very unfair on the rest of us .....businessmen arent for the good of the people,they are for their own pockets.

Last edited by Catwoman; November 9th, 2016 at 10:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old November 9th, 2016, 09:42 AM
trixxie's Avatar
trixxie trixxie is offline
Jet Setter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Puget Sound, WA
Posts: 240
trixxie is on a distinguished road
Re: U.S. election is tomorrow (2016)

I am truly scared for our country - If Mr Trump actually had a plan - one that I could review - I don't think I would be so worried. But, there isn't one I could view.
I can understand that people are upset about the direction of the country but hey - vote the guy in that has absolutely no experience.
To be honest - the two candidates were not my choices - but I didn't vote for Trump - and I didn't go third candidate either.
I am concerned that Trump will be misled by the professional politicians and not understand government.
There is something to be said about government experience.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old November 9th, 2016, 09:44 AM
trixxie's Avatar
trixxie trixxie is offline
Jet Setter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Puget Sound, WA
Posts: 240
trixxie is on a distinguished road
Re: U.S. election is tomorrow (2016)

I wonder if the US should get rid of the electoral college - I understand how it works but the popular vote went one way as it has in the last eight elections..

We may not of got into the Iraq war if we had gone with the popular vote.
Hindsight is always 20/20...isn't it?

PS - the turnout was upwards of 60% which is awesome! Considering it is not compulsory.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old November 9th, 2016, 12:26 PM
LucyVanPelt's Avatar
LucyVanPelt LucyVanPelt is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,353
LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: U.S. election is tomorrow (2016)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwoman View Post
I couldnt believe Trump hadn't paid taxes for 18 years claiming his businesses were running at losses,that would be costing the average American more money that they have to many business people negative gear their assets to escape paying taxes and its very unfair on the rest of us .....businessmen arent for the good of the people,they are for their own pockets.
Your problems aren't all that different from ours.

As for the taxes, we don't know what was paid and what wasn't. He may have had a reduction in his personal income tax and he would have paid all the other taxes. It's not likely that he hasn't paid any taxes. The US tax code is fairly complex and he takes advantage of all the loopholes, but I doubt his tax burden was $0, at least not based on deducting capital losses.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old November 9th, 2016, 12:44 PM
Catwoman Catwoman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: NZ
Posts: 781
Catwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: U.S. election is tomorrow (2016)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyVanPelt View Post
Your problems aren't all that different from ours.

As for the taxes, we don't know what was paid and what wasn't. He may have had a reduction in his personal income tax and he would have paid all the other taxes. It's not likely that he hasn't paid any taxes. The US tax code is fairly complex and he takes advantage of all the loopholes, but I doubt his tax burden was $0, at least not based on deducting capital losses.
Take a look at this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...is-remarkable/
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old November 9th, 2016, 01:33 PM
LucyVanPelt's Avatar
LucyVanPelt LucyVanPelt is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,353
LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: U.S. election is tomorrow (2016)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwoman View Post
This isn't opposed to what I posted. He is neither confirming nor denying what he paid. He may have not paid much in personal income tax, but he would have paid other taxes. No one escapes death and taxes.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old November 9th, 2016, 02:09 PM
KayKay's Avatar
KayKay KayKay is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 16,078
KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: U.S. election is tomorrow (2016)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwoman View Post
In our system the rich get the biggest tax breaks as our govt believes these people are investing more back into the economy so they get rewarded for being rich,meanwhile the middle to lower classes get the biggest penalties.We now have big divide between rich and poor here as a result. We have had cuts to our public health system with people on longer waiting lists for operations,people who are slipping through our mental health system with little to no help and threats to extend the pension age to 67. We also have a rising drug problem with meth and P, which is increasing our violent crime. Our Prime Minister (President) also thought it was a good thing to let in as many migrants and travellers to apply for residency here and buy up all the property pushing up prices when we have a big shortage of jobs and employment,with businesses going off shore in smaller towns. Meanwhile taking advantage of all the cheap easily exploited labour. This in turn has made employer treat Kiwis like crap as job seekers,all because they know they can.Our govt makes these ridiculous changes that help no one,but make the books look good,but in the end its a disaster.
Catwoman, we have all of those same problems and more, except ours have been caused by or enabled by the people in power now.

Trump does not represent the "rich". It's not exactly the same situation as your country or it has been in our country in the past. Trump was elected by the people who are tired of carrying the burden of failed policies. Last night (admittedly in wee hours of the morning when I wasn't quite as alert) I was looking at the breakdown of who voted for Trump. It was the middle class. It was the people who feel marginalized now by all of the current economic, social, etc. policies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catwoman
I couldnt believe Trump hadn't paid taxes for 18 years claiming his businesses were running at losses,that would be costing the average American more money that they have to many business people negative gear their assets to escape paying taxes and its very unfair on the rest of us .....businessmen arent for the good of the people,they are for their own pockets.
I am a CPA here in the States. I have prepared THOUSANDS of tax returns. I have never, EVER known one single person to say "Oh, don't take that deduction. I want to pay in more taxes." The only people who benefit from our tax system are people who do not work, or make their money illegally.

Our tax system is complicated, but much more unfair to middle class and wealthy people. Don't get me started. LOL. I know this intimately from my profession, being able to see many different returns and tax brackets. I obviously don't know if what Trump was doing was legal or not, but I do know that the IRS keeps a very close eye on him. My understanding is that some of the returns he wouldn't release were being audited. If he is being audited by the IRS, either everything he did was legal or he will be paying substantially, even charged with tax evasion and arrested if it is bad enough.

I also believe there are many businessmen who manage to be both for the good of the people and their own pockets. I don't know that Trump is one of them, but I know they exist.

On a positive note, I thought Hillary Clinton's concession speech was good. I am hopeful that all of the hate which has divided our country will be put to rest. Our country needs to heal and then move forward.
__________________
Expecto Patronum!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2007, The BlueSparks Network