Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Anything & Everything Forum > News and Current Events

News and Current Events Discuss news and current events

Old November 7th, 2016, 08:32 AM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
U.S. election is tomorrow (2016)

Everyone go vote!!!!

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old November 7th, 2016, 09:28 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: U.S. election is tomorrow (2016)

I already voted (early voting) hoping that if I voted and got it out of the way, all of the ugliness would go away.

It didn't work.
Old November 7th, 2016, 10:06 AM

Catwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond repute

I have been following it here too......its quite interesting.We are watching here in NZ on the edge of our seats as what happens in the the big countries affects us too. I have sat and watched every debate.I have to say I loved Alec Baldwin doing his impression...hes a hoot.
Old November 8th, 2016, 05:08 AM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayKay View Post
I already voted (early voting) hoping that if I voted and got it out of the way, all of the ugliness would go away.

It didn't work.
...not to mention all the political phone calls my answering machine gets.

Heard on the radio this morning that people are standing in line to vote. I bet this will be a record voting year.
Old November 8th, 2016, 09:09 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot2loud View Post
Heard on the radio this morning that people are standing in line to vote. I bet this will be a record voting year.
And sadly, IMO more people are voting AGAINST someone than FOR someone.
Old November 8th, 2016, 09:27 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayKay View Post
And sadly, IMO more people are voting AGAINST someone than FOR someone.
Yep. I waited almost an hour in line. But, the people were all cheerful, in a good mood, and seemed to accept that everyone was voting for someone they didn't like, which ever one that might be. I had expected stronger opinions.

It was a very interesting atmosphere. One guy said he felt like he was in line at confession: he felt a little ashamed and he wanted to be anonymous!
Old November 8th, 2016, 09:59 AM

Catwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond repute

Is it compulsory to vote in the states?,its not compulsory here in NZ but you have to be on the roll. In my hubbies home country Peru,its compulsory to vote and if you dont they penalise you with not being able to use your ID to do certain things and you have to pay fines,like the next time you go to the bank, or do something that requires you to identify yourself.Over there you must carry ID at all times if the police stop you. We Were not allowed to travel interstate on buses if we did not have sufficient ID.Hubbys brother has a Govt job in communications and has a special Govt ID and he was vouching for us usually. I also didnt want to carry my passport as it could get stolen there. On one bus we were going on the ticket guy came and to buy the ticket you have to produce your ID. we forgot our passports so we had to get off and they would not sell us tickets, he said its also to stop trafficking of children and we couldnt prove who our kids were either..They said we could not prove who we were.But my husbands brother said lets just wait for the next bus with another company as they might be more relaxed in their rules instead of going home which would have been another hour away.The buses are big luxury coaches,so quite nice.The next company just sold us the tickets and didnt ask for the ID. I thought it was a bit stupid considering the govt had allowed us into the country somehow past immigration??.When my husband went to update his ID,there was no penalty as he is not living there but he wanted to vote in their current election,they would not even photocopy one document and sent him away to get it done elsewhere down the street.One woman was quite rude at the border/immigration in Peru when we came in because hubby had not filled out the silly declaration form completely,and threw the passports and papers back at us on the desk and grumpily said do it properly!!.I said if they did that in NZ they would be in trouble for sure.Lucky we filled in a few more things and chose another nice looking guy to see when we finally went through.Depends who you get everywhere.

Last edited by Catwoman; November 8th, 2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old November 8th, 2016, 10:47 AM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

In the states voting is not mandatory and if got don't vote there are no penalties

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old November 8th, 2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyVanPelt View Post
It was a very interesting atmosphere. One guy said he felt like he was in line at confession: he felt a little ashamed and he wanted to be anonymous!
LOL - I pushed the "cast vote" button with the thought "Lord, have mercy on my soul..." going through my mind. Ashamed is a good way to put it. I saw a post on FB that someone said "Guys, I'm getting worried about the elections. I think one of the two candidates is going to win!"

We had long lines, but it was moving so quickly that there was no standing and waiting. My theory is that everyone was voting straight party the day I went. We were filing in as fast as they could get the paperwork sorted.
Old November 8th, 2016, 05:15 PM

When we vote we have polling booths at schools and halls etc.We have a school a few meters down the next street from us that we can see from our house.It takes us only 3 mins to walk there and there arent any lines. Trouble is many people dont bother voting sadly and then they dont get their say. The last two times we voted for a party that didnt get in,but Im glad we still voted.