Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Anything & Everything Forum > Open Chat

Open Chat Discuss anything & everything. (You know the rules-- keep it clean.)

Old February 29th, 2016, 06:36 AM
was here. I think.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pet peaves

I really think situations like that should be examined on a case by case basis. It really is ridiculous that some companies demand proof of illness. I understand why they demand it, but the manager should take the work habits and other things into consideration.
Old March 24th, 2016, 01:01 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Yesterday DH and I spent 45 minutes in a waiting room that was almost full. We got one of the last pairs of chairs together. There were a few empty seats, but only one here and there; none together.

One woman sat alone in a grouping with two chairs at a 90 degree angle from two other chairs. She had her purse in the chair next to her and her feet up on the chair farthest from her on the right angle, effectively taking up four chairs in a crowded waiting room. No obvious medical necessity, not saving the seats for anyone. I get so amazed at how clueless and self-centered people can be.
Old March 24th, 2016, 01:11 PM
was here. I think.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

That is pretty bad.
Old March 26th, 2016, 07:45 AM

PeeWeeMomOf3 will become famous soon enough

RE: Waiting Room Chair Hog

I would be tempted to say something. >:-(
Old March 26th, 2016, 12:49 PM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute

I ask them if they mind moving their bag so i can sit down, lol. Not sure if Mrs X or Ms Evil is the real me.

- I catch the train several times a week now, and this is definitely an issue. Either school kids, or large women in their 20's hog train seats. What is that about??
Old March 26th, 2016, 01:25 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs X View Post
I ask them if they mind moving their bag so i can sit down, lol. Not sure if Mrs X or Ms Evil is the real me.

- I catch the train several times a week now, and this is definitely an issue. Either school kids, or large women in their 20's hog train seats. What is that about??
Our public transit has signs about bags on seats, and the conductors will make the owner move them.
Old May 5th, 2016, 03:20 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Another pet peeve: Angry People.

I get being angry about something. I get having a bad day. What I do not get is people who are angry All. Of. The. Time for no apparent reason, and they feel the necessity to ruin strangers' days because of it.

I was in the express line at the grocery store behind such a woman today. I was minding my own business, doing absolutely nothing wrong or irritating. I was lost in my happy little world, thinking over the other errands I needed to run, thinking about cooking dinner, watching little kids nearby, counting up to make sure I had fewer than 15 items. I wasn't crowding her, I wasn't talking on my phone, I wasn't doing anything except standing there patiently and silently, waiting my turn. No eyerolls, not even a bored expression. I was actually kind of smiling to myself.

My eyes rested on her, we made eye contact, I smiled and she GLARED at me. Positively GLARED. Then she proceeded to go as slllooooooooowww as she could unloading her groceries, splitting her order in to two, paying for each of them with exact change that she sllloooowwwwly dug out of her purse, glaring at me the whole way. I spent the rest of the very awkward 5+ minutes behind her in line analyzing every single possible thing I could have done to anger her. There really wasn't anything. She was irritating the cashier, who was trying to be fast (you know, EXPRESS line) and proceeded to ring me up before she had gotten her bags off of the counter. One by one, slllloooowly she picked up her bags, glaring at me the whole way while the cashier and I had a friendly conversation.

I hope whatever is eating at her gets better.
Old May 6th, 2016, 06:23 AM
was here. I think.

OMG! That's crazy! Did you smile at her? Maybe a quiet little laugh or subtle snicker? Tell her to have an absolutely wonderful day before she gets home and kicks the family dog?

I don't think I've run into anyone that extreme. Maybe she just came out of the wacky ward and that's her usual demeanor. Or maybe, just maybe, someone starched her underwear.
Old May 6th, 2016, 06:46 AM

Swiss140 is just really niceSwiss140 is just really nice

I totally agree with you KayKay, people who seem to be angry all the time are one of my biggest pet peeves as well. you incident at the store reminds me of one I had about 10 years ago. I was in the express line at the grocery store behind this guy who was yelling and belittling the cashier. He kept telling her to hurry up calling her stupid and slow and using fowl language at her, the poor girl was in tears. I wanted to punch the guy out. when I got up to her I told her she was doing a fine job and to never mind the jerk.
Old May 6th, 2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot2loud View Post
OMG! That's crazy! Did you smile at her? Maybe a quiet little laugh or subtle snicker? Tell her to have an absolutely wonderful day before she gets home and kicks the family dog?
No, honestly, I felt really sorry for her. At first I was stunned and did a very thorough mental inventory of what about me may have angered her. When I couldn't come up with anything, I decided she must be a very bitter woman and how terrible is that, to go through life that way?

In retrospect, there were other things that made me not take it personally. Before either of us got to the register, another woman had walked into the store and given a friendly greeting to the woman in front of me. She called out "Oh hey So-and-So!" and waved. The woman in front of me gave a half-hearted wave, said nothing, and looked away. Then when it was her turn to get checked out, she just put her basket on the conveyor belt and didn't unload it despite the sign that says "Please unload baskets." That left the cashier to have to unload it (placing everything on the conveyor belt, which the woman then divided into two orders) and step out from behind counter to place the basket in the rack in which it belongs. It was no big deal, really, but just not a nice thing to do. It just seemed that the woman was being very deliberate in doing all of these not-nice things, like she WANTED to be a pita. Maybe her glare-down of me was a challenge for me to say something to her? I don't know.

All I know is that the cashier and the woman behind me were perfectly friendly and I concentrated my efforts on them when it was my turn to check out, and let the cranky woman go home with her misery.

Swiss - WOW. I'm glad you were kind to the cashier after that episode. What possesses people to be so mean??? Is it a power trip?