Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Grandparents & Grandchildren

Old July 12th, 2013, 05:11 AM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute
Grapes and Grandkids

I was sitting on the back deck yesterday evening enjoying my coffee and a reasonable evening temperature with a periodic light cool breeze. I was thinking about my grandkids - which I do rather often. My mind went back a few years, about six years - shortly after my daughter and her then husband divorced. My wife watched the kids daily, mostly at our home.

One evening while all of us were at the store milling through the produce section we happened upon a display of grapes. Red, green and black - big fat juicy looking red grapes (which weren't the seedless kind). They all looked soooo delicious. My older grandson asked me if I could get him some grapes. Of course I said "Sure" I let him pick the ones he wanted. I don't remember which ones he picked, but I eventually learned they like the red ones better - sweeter.

When we got back to the house I washed the grapes, placed them in some tupperware and stuck them in the fridge. My grandson came into the kitchen - trailed by his smaller brother, and asked if he could have a grape. I remember telling them to help themselves, you never need to ask anyone if you want a grape. You guys can open the refrigerator door and grab a handful anytime you want anytime of the day - just help yourselves.

From that day on we have had grapes in our refrigerator. They never had to ask for a grape. Sometimes they would stand at the door of the fridge with the tupperware between them picking the grapes off the stems eating them one at a time. They never asked for a grape - still don't. We try to always have grapes in the fridge and when they come over they still open the fridge and grab grapes.

Now my wife watches our 20 month old granddaughter. Eventually she will ask for a grape.

Gotta love those little ones. Gods gift to grand parents.
Old July 12th, 2013, 05:33 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Grapes and Grandkids

That is so sweet!
Old July 12th, 2013, 06:18 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

That's a sweet story, K2L. I love grapes myself. I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to stop myself from eating the whole container. I like frozen grapes too for a refreshing summer treat.

The only thing is... grapes are a choking hazard for kids under 5. I'd be careful to make sure the 20 month old only ever ate them supervised by an adult. http://www.med.umich.edu/yourchild/topics/choking.htm
Old July 12th, 2013, 07:22 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

I love it - the grandparents have healthy snacks rather than "sugar bombs" ('tho I did love some of the stuff G-ma "Opal" had for us)
Old June 19th, 2014, 10:17 AM

Cremebrulee has much to be proud ofCremebrulee has much to be proud ofCremebrulee has much to be proud of

really really enjoy reading your stories, and I hope your are creating a journal for your grandkids to have and look back on some day...you write very well.
Old June 24th, 2014, 05:23 AM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt i'll ever make a journal. I would never have that kind of time available - even if I made time.

Just a note... The grapes are still supplied and the two boys - when they are over; they still induldge. Except now... they do it by the hand full. Their little sister - she likes blueberries. So now we stock blueberries too.
Old December 2nd, 2014, 01:12 PM
is never to loud.

We were getting ready to leave for the store yesterday. Grandma put on GDau shoes, then sat down next to her on the step to put her own shoes on...

My 3 year old granddaughter to grandma.

"You're in my bubble grandma."

Gotta love kids...
Old April 22nd, 2015, 06:03 AM

Cremebrulee has much to be proud ofCremebrulee has much to be proud ofCremebrulee has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot2loud View Post
We were getting ready to leave for the store yesterday. Grandma put on GDau shoes, then sat down next to her on the step to put her own shoes on...

My 3 year old granddaughter to grandma.

"You're in my bubble grandma."

Gotta love kids...
LOL.....you are very fortunate....enjoy this time...my one and only grand daughter is such a strong trooper. Cannot wait to see her, soon I'll be traveling out to see them. She has Type 1 diabetes...but manages the pump pretty well...she is going to be 13. Already, God, where does the time go?

Anyway, when I go out, we get a day alone together, and we go where ever she wants to go...and she said to me...."maybe sometime, I can come up and spend some time with you". I'd love that...so much...she is a joy....

Oh, and guess what, there was a poetry contest, nation wide and she one first prize. $250.00 for her and $1,200 for her teacher for supplies. I'm so proud of her. Asked my son, "hmmm wonder where she gets that from"...he thought for awhile and replied, "Probably Me!" LOL....we both laughed. (I dabbled a little with poetry years ago)
Old April 22nd, 2015, 01:07 PM

Annsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad you have a good relationship with your son, DIL and GD now Crème! My son is also a soon to be 13 yo pumper!
There’s one major problem with giving grandparents legal access to their grandchildren. People who inflicted verbal, physical and sexual abuse on their children are then given access to inflict trauma on yet another generation. ~ Wayne and Tamara
Old March 17th, 2016, 09:51 PM

karimakkan is on a distinguished road

That's lovely. You are very so lucky too.