Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Grandparents & Grandchildren

Old March 17th, 2015, 10:02 AM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Grandkids...

That I am.

I play the "Dollar Game" with all of them. I take a dollar bill... a dollar bill has eight numbers. I start with the youngest and ask her to guess a number between zero and nine. Each one gets a turn, but I randomly pick a different digit for each turn. I do this until one them guesses the right number and wins the dollar. The game can go on for quite awhile - sometimes it doesn't.

It works great when my wife and I bring them to a restaurant and they begin to get restless. It's amazing how well they behave during the game.
Old March 17th, 2015, 10:44 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I had known about that game when my kids were little ones getting restless in restaurants!
Old March 17th, 2015, 01:17 PM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

We stumbled onto it one day when we had all five at IHOP. They were going nuts after consuming large amounts of sugar with their pancakes and French toast. I pulled out some 1's and thought... DING! Okay kids... Pick a number between 0-9.

I could see that dollar sign in each of their pretty eyes. The game was on!
Old March 31st, 2015, 05:34 AM
is never to loud.

Youngest GDau (almost 4yr) was tested for preschool (some kind of preschool program where if the child meets a certain criteria the parents don't have to pay for it). Well, dad picked her up and brought her to the place and she was tested...

They said she was to advanced for the school to do her any good. GO Grandma!!! All those workbooks and flashcards paid off! Unfortunately, mom and dad will have to pay for preschool if they want her to go.

I'm not certain what they'll do - or even my wife at that matter. She has mentioned that she's burning out in watching the GKids. Can't blame her. She's done it for almost a decade now. It's tough work.
Old March 31st, 2015, 02:16 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

As long as mom and dad don't hit you up for the preschool tuition.
Old April 1st, 2015, 05:44 AM
is never to loud.

Mom and dad (Gma too) want to get her in for the socialization. Makes sense, but she does have four other siblings aging from 9-18. That seems like plenty of socialization.

I stay out of those decisions... It's easier just being grandpa and having pony parties at the pony pad.
Old April 15th, 2015, 06:04 AM
is never to loud.

My GSons like to make bets with each other. There is this ongoing competition they have and sometimes it gets a bit out of hand - like this one...

GSon 1 is fast on his feet and wiry. GSon 2 isn't so fast, but he has plenty of muscle.

Monday...

Both boys like to initiate bets. So he tell his brother that he can get past him with a football. So they make two lines - Edge of driveway is the starting point and the finishing point is a tree about 30 feet from the edge of the driveway. I wasn't aware of what was really going on because I was busy with my almost 4 year old GDau. Anyway, the bet was $10. GSon 2 made it past GSon 1 and won the bet. I heard GSon 1 tell his brother: "Double or nothing."

Now GPa enters the picture... "What's going on?" They explain it to me. Now I know that their Mom does NOT agree with this gambling thing so I have to back up Mom. But, their at GMa's and GPa's... We're liberal. Uh.. Huh.

Lesson time...

GMa's in on this too... GMa tells the boys to "Shake on it." They do and the bet is on. Both boys get ready; GMa says "GO!" They crash head on and GSon 1 falls to the ground, grabs his brothers leg and GSon 2 drags him to the finish line. Now GSon 1 owes his brother $20. GSon 1 says: "Double or nothing." He takes his shirt off. GSon 2 is counting his cash in his head. He's reluctant to do this again, but finally agrees.

Both boys get ready... GSon 2 charges out, GSon 1 reaches out to grab his brother, GSon 2 hits him, spins and blows past him to the finish line. GSon 1 is crushed. He is now in debt to his brother $40 and he's crying. GSon 2 is relishing his potential earnings. GMa and Gpa are chuckling because we now that when Mom get here she's going to nullify all bets.

Mom pulls up and GSon 2 tells his Mom. Mom says: "No! I told you guys about betting! All bets are off! This is NOT going to happen anymore!" GSon 2 begins to cry.

Tuesday...

I get home. Boys are there. We all go outside and do our normal thing... GDau rides her bike and the boys and I toss a football around. Nothing is said about the day before. No anger, no nothing. Just a couple of brothers playing together.

Business as usual.

I don't think they'll make dumb bets like that anymore. It's no longer allowed at my home.
Old May 11th, 2015, 12:03 PM
is never to loud.

My wife and I ordered a swing set for our GDau. It came in today and is sitting in a box on our driveway right now. Our GDau is, and has been, very excited about it getting here (she's almost four years old).

Well, she had GMa call me and tell me it was here. GDau got on the phone and told me to "come home now" and put it together. I had to tell her that GPa can't come home because he's at work. The phone got deafly quiet. GMa got on the phone and told me our GDau just got rejected and was hugging her. We hung up.

About a half hour later GMa sends me a photo of my crying GDau - Awww... To cute. Old GPa broke her heart. Guess she having a challenge with the word "now."

Looks like GPa will be getting an earful from his GDau when I get home.
Old May 11th, 2015, 01:31 PM

Thank goodness you weren't there to witness the tears first hand!! I have a feeling a certain GPa would have gotten up out of a sickbed to put that swing together rather than have a disappointed GDau.
Old May 12th, 2015, 05:46 AM
is never to loud.

She was better when I got home. I explained as best I could that GPa may not be able to get to it until this weekend. She still wanted me to start now. LOL... I side-tracked her by opening the box and we took a very detailed look at all the really neat things that were in it... Spy Glass, Steering Wheel, Slide, Swings, Rock Climbing Grips... That seemed to appease her because she suggested we do the "Pony Party" thing. So we did until her mom picked her up.

I'm certain the cycle will start over again today. My wife even suggested I take a day off to put it together. I'm already taking Wednesday off to help move my DD and her DH. I guess I could get it started Wednesday.