Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Grandparents & Grandchildren

Old October 12th, 2017, 10:56 PM

MsLadyBug888 is on a distinguished road
Need advice

The problem is that my grandmother has dementia. I've noticed about a year ago that her short-term memory is gone. At first I thought she's pulling my leg but it became worse. Now she can't remember that we've had a meal 10 min. after I've cleaned up the table. She lives alone in her apartment and sometimes forgets to lock her door. I am really worried but I don't have enough room to take her in plus she maybe 83 but she is stubborn as hell. Retirement homes are out of the question for now. So what do I do? I try to be there as much as I can but I have an 8 year old kid and work. I would much appreciate any advice.
Old October 13th, 2017, 05:17 AM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need advice

You're in a difficult situation. I assume there is no one else around to help out - like her kids? It appears that you are doing what you can do for now. She apparently is still rather self-sufficient. Other than convincing her to move into an assisted living home you're a bit stuck with the current situation.

All I can really tell you is that you are doing the best you can do. After all... You have a child and a home to care for too. It's the world we live in.
Old October 13th, 2017, 03:18 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto what Knot2Loud said.

The only thing I can think of other than what you're doing is to maybe give your contact information to her neighbors, and notify the police that she has dementia and lives alone.

Are there any elder care services in your area?
Old October 13th, 2017, 04:53 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

I want to suggest elder care services, too! If she's open to receiving help, they often have additional services. Something as simple as Meals on Wheels to bring her a warm meal and a visit on the evenings when you can't be there could be a big help for your both.
Old October 13th, 2017, 06:14 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

You really should call elder care....

Call a hospital social worker to see if there are any resources available.

When I used to live in "other state" an elderly woman who had dementia got lost (she lived next door to me) walking out of her home. Once she was found she had to be hospitalized, someone else in the same town died of exposure.

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old October 16th, 2017, 06:43 AM

MsLadyBug888 is on a distinguished road

Thank you all. I will look into it. I just really don't know what to expect because if she forgets about the person, she may panic when they get into the apartment and she has very high BP, I am afraid she might get a stroke. Gosh it seems I am panicking right now. Anyway I look for a nurse probably.