Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Around the House > Other

Other General household discussions.

Old June 5th, 2009, 09:41 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Fruit flies! Help!

Okay... I'm officially going insane.

A month or so ago, someone about to leave for a trip gave us some fruit that would have otherwise gone bad. That was really nice.

The fruit came with fruit flies.

We STILL have fruit flies. How in the heck do I get rid of them?! I don't have any fruit on the counter anymore, and I do my best to keep the trash put out and the sink empty (hard to do at my house). But we DO have to live here.

It's not an infestation (I don't think ) but we can't sit at dinner (under the light fixture) without constantly shooing away a couple of little flying pests.

Any ideas?
Old June 5th, 2009, 10:02 PM
She Who Must Be Obeyed

HisHeathenHoney has much to be proud ofHisHeathenHoney has much to be proud ofHisHeathenHoney has much to be proud of
Re: Fruit flies! Help!

Homemade fruit fly traps. They work great for me. Every so often they get out of hand here and then I make a few of these traps.

Take baby food jars or some other small container like that, and put bait in them. Apple cider vinegar is the best I've found.

Stretch Saran wrap tight over the jars and fasten with rubber bands.

With a pencil or kitchen skewer of some kind, poke holes in the Saran wrap. You want them pretty small, but big enough for the fruit flies to get in. It may take a bit of experimentation to find the right size--I find the little wooden 'brochette' skewers you can buy in the supermarket make the perfect width hole.

That's it. Put them around the kitchen. The fruit flies climb in, but they can't, or don't, climb out. Then they tend to drown in the vinegar.

Works quite well and very safe.
Old June 6th, 2009, 05:40 AM

Lizzie will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Fruit flies! Help!

Cleaned out my sons room last Saturday...he is an athlete and eats a lots of fruit.
Under his bed and in corners were discarded fruit that had not been eaten AND the fruit flies..after hours of scrubbing and disinfecting I think I got rid of them,,I know what you mean
Ps the room is just as bad again this week but I dont see any fruit just yet!
Old June 6th, 2009, 07:16 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

I'd go with HHH's suggestion, but it does remind me of a high school practical joke.

Some jocks were poking fun at a biology geek. His revenge was to put fruitflies in his locker over Spring Break. You should have seen the flies come out of there when re returned to school.
Old June 6th, 2009, 08:02 AM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

When I worked at a daycare they got fruit flies REALLY bad - they poured small amounts of bleach down the drains daily, but still had problems with the trashcans. Because of this I'd recommend putting ALL of your trashcans outdoors (yeah- the neighborhood critters will love you too)- at least until you can get rid of the flies.
Old June 6th, 2009, 12:56 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Okay ~ I made a homemade trap a la HHH. I used a toothpick to make the holes (wiggled it around to make it skewer size... don't know why I didn't just pull out a skewer ) *fingers crossed*

If they don't like the apple cider vinegar, I know what they WILL like. DH poured me a glass of really good chardonnay last night. I took a sip and set it down for just a couple of minutes, came back to two dead fruit flies in it.

What's their life cycle (someone been through a science fair lately?) It's like a week or two, right? So I'll have fruit flies as long as some of them survive long enough to lay eggs?

ETA: Lucy, I *really* wish you hadn't given me any ideas for how to get back at the school bullies....
Old June 6th, 2009, 11:32 PM

Well, so far the trap is working. The bad news is that I've caught more fruit flies than I thought I had....
Old June 7th, 2009, 10:55 AM
She Who Must Be Obeyed

HisHeathenHoney has much to be proud ofHisHeathenHoney has much to be proud ofHisHeathenHoney has much to be proud of

Well, you know what they say about fruit flies....(the same thing that is said about rabbits). Yes, it is kinda disturbing at first. (Usually if it's bad I will make a few traps, stick them around in slightly different places in the kitchen).

They need standing water or liquidy stuff to lay their eggs so try and reduce any open liquid not in the traps...flower vases, whatever.

The homemade traps probably take longer than spray--it won't get rid of them all overnight but once you work through a breeding cycle you'll see it go down substantially and then go away. (It's just I am so paranoid about using poisons in my kitchen that I would rather do the long way than try bug spray.)
Old June 7th, 2009, 12:20 PM

The question is... HOW am I supposed to make stuff without fruit flies getting on it? I have to make a b-day cake for DS, and I'm not sure how to go about letting it cool. I can stick it in the microwave or toaster oven or pastry bin, but that'll be too humid.
Old June 7th, 2009, 01:05 PM
She Who Must Be Obeyed

When I have a cake I need to cool or leave overnight (because I decorated it) I find a large cardboard box, much bigger than the cake, and set it over the cake.