Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Around the House > Other

Other General household discussions.

Old June 7th, 2009, 01:41 PM

grubby will become famous soon enough
Re: Fruit flies! Help!

About 2 years ago we had really bad fruit flies. Yuck. HHH idea is great!!!! Also, as Lucy said, mine were breeding in the sink drains, so watch that, and also my indoor plants had a few boogers in them, so check there too.

I was a much better parent... before I had kids!
Old June 7th, 2009, 02:15 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubby View Post
....mine were breeding in the sink drains, so watch that, and also my indoor plants had a few boogers in them, so check there too.

I'd forgotten that we'd had fruitflies really bad a few years ago until grubby's comment reminded me. We ended up having to throw some of the plants out (but just the ones with the peat/moss type mix - the ones with normal dirt were fine).
Old June 7th, 2009, 06:03 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Well the good news (?) is that my cats eat houseplants, so I don't have any except a small cactus in my bathroom and another succulent in the living room. Cats also prevent the "standing water" in flower vases, cups of water left on the table, etc. I do have their water bowl though... hmmm...

I put out the first trap yesterday on my stovetop, near where I keep any fruit on the counter. I caught about a dozen fruit flies. I've refreshed that one and have caught about another dozen today () and I put another trap over by the sink/trash drawer. The second trap has only caught one.

This is just really discouraging. I'm not sure why having fruit flies would upset me so much.
Old June 17th, 2009, 10:22 PM

Mcdee is on a distinguished road

Hi,
We had the same problem last year in the summer. I too have no plants due cats and I cleaned my house from top to bottom still they were around. The traps work but they seem to only control them not get rid of them. We started getting them again this year as the weather got warmer so I asked an Orkin Man and he advised me since I had no plants and I cleaned everything else they must be coming from my kitchen drain. Living in the gunk deep down. He advised me to pour Liquid Plumber down ALL drains {since that cleans the gunk from your drains}not just the kitchen sink and leave overnight. In the morning rinse the drains with hot water. I did that and so far so good. I still have the traps out and since the summer is just begining I am still wait and seeing, but there seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel. Hope this helps. FYI-there is a very strong bleach smell when you leave the Liquid Plumber in overnite, but it didnt effect myself or my cats.

Good Luck
Mcdee

PS he did mentioned I should check the pan under my fridge,the one that collects the water, but mine is encased in my fridge and does not get remove-so they couldnt be coming from there.
Old June 17th, 2009, 10:58 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks McDee! Welcome to the forum!

The fruit flies have abated. I suspect that they will come back, but for now I haven't had any in my traps for a while. None in my wine either.
Old June 18th, 2009, 10:11 AM

Beth will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayKay View Post
None in my wine either.
Oh, it makes me crazy when that happens. So glad they are gone!
Old July 18th, 2009, 03:05 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

Now that the moth population is decreasing in my home we got fruit flies

but thanks to everyone here I know what to do
Old July 18th, 2009, 03:41 PM

It worked... no more fruit flies since!
Old July 21st, 2009, 09:55 PM

Mcdee is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to update excpet for the odd fruit fly they seem to be gone...I still put out the traps though..just in case...might also do the liquid plumber thing again once it gets hot here again...so far we had a cool July.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 05:11 AM
future crazy cat lady

Once I used some foaming garbage disposal cleaning thingy the fruit flies have disappeared - I didn't even have to check the other stuff