Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Around the House > Other

Other General household discussions.

Old September 18th, 2015, 04:20 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I want to try ....

It tastes like roasted pumpkin with lots of sugar and cream in it. There are a lot of different recipes for it, but most of them start with canned pumpkin (except for overachievers who use fresh pumpkin, and I'm looking at you, snafu and HHH ).

Do you have canned pumpkin in NZ?
Old September 18th, 2015, 04:23 PM

Catwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayKay View Post

Do you have canned pumpkin in NZ?

No we don't have canned pumpkin here, didn't know you could get it like that?, but pumpkin here is quite cheap anyway, and we have either butternut or squash varieties to choose from.....I always wondered is pumpkin pie meant to be a sweet or savoury dish?....it sounds quite yum!!
Old September 18th, 2015, 06:50 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

It is delicious.

We have canned pumpkin readily available here in the US. Here is probably the most widely-used recipe (not an advertisement - just informational!) https://www.verybestbaking.com/recip...s-pumpkin-pie/

Here's a recipe (unendorsed - I've never tried it!) using fresh pumpkin: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/13711/h...h-pumpkin-pie/

I used to make a recipe with a cream cheese/sugar mixture on the bottom and the pumpkin mixture on top. That was really good. Alas, one of my kiddos won't eat pumpkin pie but LOVES pumpkin cheesecake, so that has become the go-to pumpkin-based dessert in our family.

ETA: Here, butternut and pumpkin are two different things. Both are a type of squash, but when the word "squash" is used without specifying a type (i.e. butternut, spaghetti) it generally means yellow (summer) squash. I just noticed that you referred to the butternut or squash varieties and wanted to make sure that you knew they weren't interchangeable with regards to pumpkin pie.

ETAA: I stand corrected! I just looked at a chart of winter squashes and noticed that butternut squash is indeed able to be used as a substitute for pumpkin in pies! Who knew?

Last edited by KayKay; September 18th, 2015 at 06:57 PM.
Old September 19th, 2015, 03:08 PM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute

lol at canned pumpkin!!!

I've tried pumpkin pie, but it was a bit bland, and tasted like it should have been made into soup.

Last edited by Mrs X; September 19th, 2015 at 05:45 PM. Reason: spelling
Old September 19th, 2015, 03:17 PM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute

we call your "butternut squash" just plain "butternut" (looks like a large creamy coloured peanut shell), and the smaller sphereical(ish) darkgreen and orange ones "supermarket squash". The larger more sphereical pale grey ones are just called "pumkins".

They all taste better sometimes than others, but the butternuts have the most reliable flavour.
Old September 19th, 2015, 04:34 PM

Gray? Pumpkins are orange here in the US.

http://www.planetseed.com/sites/defa...Squash0001.jpg

Pumpkin pie is supposed to be sweet tasting, with nutmeg and cinnamon and allspice in it. I wouldn't usually describe it as bland, but perhaps that's a difference in tastebuds.

So what do you make jack-o-lanterns out of?
Old September 19th, 2015, 05:38 PM

Here you go, nz pumpkins:
http://www.vegetables.co.nz/select_a...e/pumpkins.asp

- Apparently the ones i call "supermarket squash" are officially "buttercup squash". - They don't sell the big orange ones much in Auckland, they may need a colder climate. - The giant ones that they have prizes for at shows or fairs tend to be orange though.

When we were kids, we had a go (once) at making jack-o-lanterns. Since this was a million years ago and we lived in the Waikato, i *think* we used the big grey ones, but really can't remember. Towards the end of spring is not your best pumpkin carving season it would seem.
Old September 19th, 2015, 06:31 PM

Sorry to hijack your thread, snafu. This is just fascinating to me.
Old September 20th, 2015, 03:07 AM

Annsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond repute

Every Halloween the kids scoop out the pumpkins. I use half the flesh for pumpkin soup and the other half for pumpkin pie. I don't know what canned pumpkin is like because we don't have it over here but I just put the flesh in a bowl, add a little (maybe a tablespoon tops)/of water. Microwave for a couple of minutes then purée in a blender. I cheat using ready made sweet pastry cases. But I end up freezing lots of soup and lots of pumpkin pie. And when that's finished I love making sweet potato pie!
There’s one major problem with giving grandparents legal access to their grandchildren. People who inflicted verbal, physical and sexual abuse on their children are then given access to inflict trauma on yet another generation. ~ Wayne and Tamara
Old November 12th, 2015, 12:17 PM

Cremebrulee has much to be proud ofCremebrulee has much to be proud ofCremebrulee has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu View Post

butternut squash soup is NOT worth the effort (if you peel, then cut into chunks - don't know if you could roast the squash first then scoop it out)

but it tastes better if it sets in the fridge a few days then reheat it
I've never made or eaten squash, but I know people roast it with their other veggies. I'm thinking maybe they cut it in small cubes and boil it first?