Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Friend Forum > Other friendships

Other friendships Best friends, ex-friends, or any other friends

Old June 7th, 2008, 05:45 AM

lyn is on a distinguished road
Cottage at friends

Hi, I'm feeling guilt for not going to a friends cottage as there will be the 4 of us from school, am 44 now so yeh, friends from wayyy back. We meet up for lunches out which is great but..I am so not into going to the cottage for an 'overnight' stay. I get anxiety, have depersonalization and truly, my fibromyalgia is bad right now (even though that shouldn't stop me from going). I feel bad but feel glad I'm not going. How should I tell them after the fact, so they won't be upset..any suggestions?
Thanks,
Lyn
Old June 7th, 2008, 06:30 AM

1dilwhosreal will become famous soon enough
Re: Cottage at friends

Welcome, lyn.

If these ladies are your friends, they should know about your illness and understand why you aren't comfortable about staying in a cottage overnight. Is there one you are closest with? I'd share that information with her and ask her help in breaking it to the group.

P.S. I also took the liberty to move your thread to the friends section. Hopefully you'll get a few more responses there.
Old June 7th, 2008, 07:50 PM

lyn is on a distinguished road

I guess I didn't look hard enough as I was searching for a 'friends' forum, thank-you for that.

As well, thank-you for your reply, made me feel better
Old June 11th, 2008, 10:00 AM

Cremebrulee has much to be proud ofCremebrulee has much to be proud ofCremebrulee has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyn View Post
Hi, I'm feeling guilt for not going to a friends cottage as there will be the 4 of us from school, am 44 now so yeh, friends from wayyy back. We meet up for lunches out which is great but..I am so not into going to the cottage for an 'overnight' stay. I get anxiety, have depersonalization and truly, my fibromyalgia is bad right now (even though that shouldn't stop me from going). I feel bad but feel glad I'm not going. How should I tell them after the fact, so they won't be upset..any suggestions?
Thanks,
Lyn
Just sincerely tell them like you've said here. Don't make it worse then what it is...just simply tell them, you'd love to go, and appreciate the invite but can't You don't need approval from them to remain in your comfort zone, and by all means, do not feel guilty. There are times I simply do not want to attend functions that my friends have. So, I thank them and tell them no...and yanno, who cares if they don't like you for something like that....llike the other poster said, if they are true friends they will understand.

Creme