Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Anything & Everything Forum > Open Chat

Open Chat Discuss anything & everything. (You know the rules-- keep it clean.)

Old December 10th, 2017, 08:15 PM
Jet Setter

trixxie is on a distinguished road
work and co-workers

Ugh - I work in a large retail chain as a part-time associate.
That being said - I worked at one location and then transferred to a location closer to home. I've been there over a year combined at the two locations. At this location over 5 months.

One associate has been treating me like a child. She will call me out on various work rules - one was a sensor on clothing that another associate can remove at the cash wrap counter and return to her at the jewelry counter so she can assist the customer and the customer can avoid the long customer lines at the regular cash wrap line.
She called me out and chased me down the other night and reminds me that she does not have a sensor removal at the jewelry counter.
I apologize and move on.
Tonight, I was buying an item with my DDIL - with my purse, big bag from another retail show AND the item I wanted to buy WITH the radio that I wear from the shift I just completed. My DDIL was with me to buy something too.

I placed the radio on the counter, planning to place it in the charger when I completed my purchase. When this associate said something to me - my DDIL had not finished her transaction.

This associate calls me out and says "is this your radio? You can't leave the radio on the counter" I didn't even get the chance to say anything - I really need to learn that she likes to have the upper hand with me.

I'm tempted to go back to my workplace tonight and have a word with her to remind her that we are co-workers and that I appreciate constructive criticism - not the way she criticizes me.

I feel demeaned and diminished by the way she is treating me.
Old December 11th, 2017, 04:38 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: work and co-workers

I'm sorry this is happening to you.

I would not advise you go back to work to confront her; that would look very bad for you.

First, understand in your own mind that she is your equal. It doesn't matter what she says; her opinion isn't important.

Second, be prepared to address the situation when it happens again. Do not get upset. Instead, remain calm and if you can muster it, even smile, and simply tell her, "We are coworkers. If you need something, you should ask me nicely. You may not speak to me rudely anymore."

Then DOCUMENT it! The date, time, and context of the conversation. Just in case she's a bigger bully behind your back.

Good luck!
Old December 11th, 2017, 03:39 PM
Jet Setter

I didn't go back to work to confront her - I thought and thought about it.

Your advice is perfect! I wish I would of thought of that before - seriously, excellent advice and wording - I will do that.
Cause I know she will try again. Sigh...
Old December 11th, 2017, 04:59 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

And just remember, people who make others feel small in order to make themselves feel big have a hole in their emotional bucket. It's really her problem and not yours. Chances are good that she does it to other people.

I'd handle it a little bit differently than Lucy, but that's because I'm less brave. LOL. I'd completely stop what I was doing, turn to face her completely, give a long pause as if I'm trying to decide how to respond, then with a completely neutral expression (or a completely fake smile if you know how to give those) and a lower voice, look her in the eyes and say (with pauses between the sentences) "Yes. I'm aware. Thank you for the reminder." Then maintain eye contact until she turns away.

I'd have to practice a bunch at home in the mirror first though. LOL.

(and document it!)
Old December 15th, 2017, 06:39 AM
Jet Setter

See that's what I had been doing - but she is NOT getting the message…
Sigh…

I'm getting angry by her behavior. It's irritating and demeaning to me.

I *think* I have to take another look at it and when I do; it might be a combination of the two approaches.
Perhaps then she will get the message?

Uffdah