Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Anything & Everything Forum > Open Chat

Open Chat Discuss anything & everything. (You know the rules-- keep it clean.)

Old June 22nd, 2013, 10:50 AM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: random acts of kindness

sometimes just being nice to a child who is "different" when you're out in public makes thier day (& allows said child to practice soical skills with mom's support)

made my day - he was so excited to talk with me
Old July 6th, 2013, 02:14 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

I was on the recieving end today

I'm learning to use a weedwacker ; but haven't learned how to "edge" the sidealk yet. Our neighbor showed me, then went ahead and did the the first time for me - he said it'd be easier for him to use his the first time as the grass, ect was really thick & tough. He felt I could get it in the future as it would be new/young grass.

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old July 12th, 2013, 07:33 PM
future crazy cat lady

I've got 2

- while at Bread Co the other day I saw a group of grandma/greatgrandma aged women taking a pic. I offered to take pictures for them as, I told them, it would be a shame for one person NOT to be in the pictures when the entire group was together.

- (this one is my mom's) I'd taken DM out shopping & she saw a woman who lives in her senior apartment building. Mom (with my permission) offered her a ride - she was so thankful (that greatgrandmother walks to the store in the heat{ that's a long walk}, then takes a bus home)

mom told her how to get to a closer store
Old July 14th, 2013, 08:56 PM

landa is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: random acts of kindness

One thing that I always like to do and I really think it makes a difference. If you see an older person in the street give them a smile. It may be the only smile they get that day.
My Step father died recently and my mother had died a couple of years previously. I would go and stay with him and in his fridge were bottles and bottles of cream,packets of sausages etc.
He went to the main shop in his country area everyday. He really only went there so that someone would talk to him , and even if it was just to hear someone say "that will be $5.50 and Have a nice day."
So whenever I see an elderly person I like to smile and acknowledge that they are still part of the human race.
Makes you think!
Old July 15th, 2013, 05:32 AM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by landa View Post
One thing that I always like to do and I really think it makes a difference. If you see an older person in the street give them a smile. It may be the only smile they get that day.
My Step father died recently and my mother had died a couple of years previously. I would go and stay with him and in his fridge were bottles and bottles of cream,packets of sausages etc.
He went to the main shop in his country area everyday. He really only went there so that someone would talk to him , and even if it was just to hear someone say "that will be $5.50 and Have a nice day."
So whenever I see an elderly person I like to smile and acknowledge that they are still part of the human race.
Makes you think!

I'm sorry for your loss... It's good to see that you honored your stepdad so.

I like what you said. I believe in giving those "smiles" and talking to people. It reminds of this old man who used to work as a "greeter" at the local Walmart. He's still there, but he now restocks the shelves from the returns and misplaced items. He's kind of a crusty-grumpy looking old man and he never really said much of anything in the beginning. I used to always greet him - say hello or whatever. Now, when I see the man, he'll stop and we'll chat with my wife and I for a couple of minutes.

I agree... keep on smiling and treating these old folk good.
Old August 12th, 2013, 08:23 PM

My3kidsmom is on a distinguished road

Once a month I always buy the order for the person behind me in the drive through. I had it happen to me on a really bad day and it turned my whole day around
Old January 8th, 2014, 06:19 PM
future crazy cat lady

I just remembered this from years ago.

It was a hot summer's day & I saw an elderly woman pulling a wheeled cart filled with grocerys (obviously walking home from the store). I offered her a ride and at first she refused. I explained that _____ was my grandma, and the green house we could see was her's( about a block away). She then accepted a ride.

Another time, DM and I offered a guy a ride at a Wal-mart. He had bought a TV and was trying to transport it home using a bike . He refused the ride, but accepted us taking the TV to his home. Turns out his DD/DIL had just had a baby and the proud grandpa had bought a TV as a gift.
Old June 3rd, 2014, 03:17 PM
future crazy cat lady

I went to the bread co and a guy held the door for me and another woman .... I thanked him and paid for his order .... the manager have me my drink for free (her face lit up when I told the guy I'd pay for his order... she said something about paying it forward)
Old June 3rd, 2014, 03:24 PM
future crazy cat lady

I just remembered this ... quite some time ago I went out to eat (by myself) - there was a table of 6-8 members of the armed forces ... I paid for their meals
Old June 3rd, 2014, 05:18 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

I always pay for police when I see a table of them.