Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > All Grown Up

All Grown Up A place to discuss "adult" children.

Old March 3rd, 2018, 01:22 PM

Bb52 is on a distinguished road
Is it me or is this a red flag?

To keep it short , I am a woman with no children or debut issues . I started dating my older ex again after we broke up for disagreeing on his behaviour. Second time trying this again I have noticed he is splitting assets with his 29 yr old son ( they live together) . His pay goes into the young mans account which I thought was odd for a grown man . As I felt it was not my place to say anything I have kept quiet 🤫... a few weeks ago My BF said we should buy a condo across the street from his son and let the son keep the other place... I thought it was disturbing as if heís in a relationship he needs to cut the umbilical cord.
This week I was informed that they are going to share vehicles also, I was honest with BF in that for someone coming into the unit this was viewed as unusual and if it was going to be the two of them That wonít work for me . He admitted he has daddy guilt issues

Last edited by Bb52; March 3rd, 2018 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Privacy concern delete post
Old March 3rd, 2018, 01:40 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is it me or is this a red flag?

Is it normal? No.
Does it spell troubles for you in the future? Yes.

He's hiding something. Does the 29yo work?

If you're in the U.S., he may be using this arrangement to avoid paying those back taxes, or to circumvent some law or legal trouble he's in (back alimony?). It's illegal.

Has his behavior changed since you broke up with him for it?

You're young, and only 2 years older than the son he's teaching to break the law. If it were me, I wouldn't touch this situation with a 10 foot pole.
Old March 3rd, 2018, 01:51 PM

Thank you for the response . I donít want to sound petty as I am not that person and it is early in the relationship but Iíd rather cut bait and run now as I have been very disturbed.
Yes he has changed and been more respectful since we got back together and if I think heís getting rude Iím on him like a fat kid on a cupcake now .
Yes the son works Two jobs. Has enough money to buy his own new car in the and owns one brand new car he keeps in dads garage and doesnít use , and his old one dad fixes for him etc
They are close which I get but there are so many red flags
As a young professional with great credit and no issues , I feel that this may not be good for me to get into .

Last edited by Bb52; March 3rd, 2018 at 03:58 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2018, 02:50 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Have you met the son? Do you have a relationship with him?
Old March 3rd, 2018, 03:55 PM

Yes , I have known him since the beginning . We get along great ! The issue is dad
Old March 3rd, 2018, 06:34 PM

Well, I agree with you that as a young professional with great credit, you might want to avoid being in this relationship.
Old March 5th, 2018, 09:40 AM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

I'd run for the hills....

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old March 5th, 2018, 09:43 AM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

This doesn't sound like any kind of ideal relationship. Personally, I'd listen to your instinct concerning your future with him. The whole thing just sounds flakey.

Anyway... I wish you the best in life and love.
Old March 25th, 2018, 11:43 AM

JemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud of

If he is serious about a relationship with you that means sharing expenses on housing, etc HE SHOULD REVEAL WHAT IS GOING ON WITH SON.

That's my take. You should not have any doubts/questions/concerns.

Its a BIG RED FLAG. He should tell you everything before you get really really involved and you get stuck in a huge mess.

Parents help their adult children here and there. When there is a significant other that may be affected - they should know full well what is going on and any ramifications if things go awry.

Best of luck to you.

...land of the free. kind of...maybe...not so much.