Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Anything & Everything Forum > Open Chat

Open Chat Discuss anything & everything. (You know the rules-- keep it clean.)

Old May 10th, 2016, 06:43 PM

Catwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What are you reading?

Im reading "The Scene of the Crime" by Steve Braunias, its about the crime scenes and meeting the perpetrators and the actual trials of some NZ murders. Very interesting reading as some of the content about the cases has not even been published..its a 2014 book. Its very popular here at the library here at the mo and big waiting list in some libraries.....im a fan of true crime stories,forensics etc.
Old May 11th, 2016, 05:29 AM

Swiss140 is just really niceSwiss140 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwoman View Post
Im reading "The Scene of the Crime" by Steve Braunias, its about the crime scenes and meeting the perpetrators and the actual trials of some NZ murders. Very interesting reading as some of the content about the cases has not even been published..its a 2014 book. Its very popular here at the library here at the mo and big waiting list in some libraries.....im a fan of true crime stories,forensics etc.
I'm not a fan of true crime but one of my favorite books is called "The Zodiac" about the Zodiac killer of California whom they never caught.

I am taking a break from reading. The problem with me is that when I read it consumes my life and I don't get anything done, I love to read. Right before my break I finisher a western series by the author Lou Bradshaw.
Old May 11th, 2016, 06:55 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

LOL, I'm that way too, Swiss. When I get involved in a book, I have a bad tendency to not be able to put it down. I often read a book in one sitting (which might be 15 hours )
Old May 11th, 2016, 07:11 AM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

My wife read that book - The Zodiak. She likes those books. How's that author: Lou Bradshaw? I like westerns.

I've been stuck on WWII books lately. Specifically how the Russian soldiers were treated by their own country - which, by the way, wasn't good. The only thing worse was being captured by the Germans. If it wasn't for the winter... Germany would have taken Russia.

Last edited by Knot2loud; May 11th, 2016 at 07:16 AM.
Old May 11th, 2016, 07:50 AM

Swiss140 is just really niceSwiss140 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot2loud View Post
My wife read that book - The Zodiak. She likes those books. How's that author: Lou Bradshaw? I like westerns.

I've been stuck on WWII books lately. Specifically how the Russian soldiers were treated by their own country - which, by the way, wasn't good. The only thing worse was being captured by the Germans. If it wasn't for the winter... Germany would have taken Russia.
I think Lou Bradshaw is good, he is an older guy but newer at writing. The books I have red take place in the Kansas area, he seems to have done his research. I found him looking through books on Amazon books.

You talking about WWII books reminds me of a book I had laying around the house for years called "All's Quiet On The Western Front" I have picked it up on occasion and tried to read it but cant seem to get to the end of the first chapter. I think the book is a classic. I have read "Pilgrims Progress" (which I found interesting) and that was a hard read you'd think I could get through "All's Quiet On The Western Front"

Anyways the book diapered until last year it showed up at my cabin, I think the book is haunting me
Old May 11th, 2016, 10:03 AM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

Cool. I'll check the westerns out. I've been reading William Johnstones westerns. William Johnstone died in the early 2000's, but J.A. Johnstone has continued his writing. Same style writing. I like the books - good story. Funny thing about the writing style is everything builds up and then the author concludes his story in the last few pages and the hero is always victorious.

Always thought about reading the Western Front, but could never get around to getting the book.
Old May 16th, 2016, 07:16 PM

PeeWeeMomOf3 will become famous soon enough

I recently finished the Tom Petty biography. It was good, if you're a fan. It may be dull if you're not a fan. There is a very thorough, detailed account of every band Petty played in, and all who played with him from high school on. Then other things that one may be more curious about, his breakup from his first wife Jane - who may have been abusive toward him and mentally ill, are quite vague. His overcoming an abusive childhood, a post-divorce heroin addiction and getting clean and rebuilding a happy life with his second wife is commendable.

Almost done with the Tina Fey autobiography, Bossypants, which I found very funny and interesting. Honest and insightful and some laugh out loud one-liners. Inspiring to hear of a driven, creative woman and how she navigated her path, still very down-to-earth and hilarious in parts.

Just got a PD James book from a sharing shelf at work, Death Comes to Pemberley.

Last edited by PeeWeeMomOf3; May 17th, 2016 at 04:14 AM.
Old May 16th, 2016, 08:11 PM

Catwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss140 View Post
I'm not a fan of true crime but one of my favorite books is called "The Zodiac" about the Zodiac killer of California whom they never caught.

I am taking a break from reading. The problem with me is that when I read it consumes my life and I don't get anything done, I love to read. Right before my break I finisher a western series by the author Lou Bradshaw.
My problem is staying awake when I read, If I lie down on the couch or on the bed I feel like closing my eyes lol.
Old September 14th, 2016, 08:39 AM
a beautiful disaster.

emily is on a distinguished road

right now, i'm reading the auto biography of john cleese (fawlty towers, monty python)
Old September 19th, 2016, 05:12 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

Just finished "Crisis of Character" - (not the first book to mention some of the same incidents)

I want to run and hide for the elections

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )