Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Health and Wellness > Weight Loss/Exercise

Weight Loss/Exercise Discuss issues related to Weight Loss and Exercise

Closed Thread

Old February 18th, 2009, 11:37 AM
She Who Must Be Obeyed

HisHeathenHoney has much to be proud ofHisHeathenHoney has much to be proud ofHisHeathenHoney has much to be proud of
How do you avoid emotional eating?

I've gotten really bad about this lately.

Before I had kids, I wasn't too bad about it. Not a lot of grabbing a snack out of boredom or stress or feeling 'down.' Now it happens all the time.

I don't know if it's having kids, or getting older. Whatever--do you have strategies for defeating that "I deserve some chocolate" urge or whatever?

It doesn't help that I have a thyroid condition. It's managed with medication and I'm not fat from a health standpoint, just from a vanity standpoint. But the thyroid thing makes that last 15 pounds the DEVIL to lose, and so it makes me feel unmotivated ('well, if have to run a marathon and eat twigs then screw it I'll just be fat').

Feeling very depressed about it lately. Feeling depressed isn't exactly the recipe for avoiding emotional eating.
Old February 18th, 2009, 12:06 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do you avoid emotional eating?

I have no earthly idea, but I wanted to let you know that I'm with you on this.
Old February 18th, 2009, 01:23 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

You are so not alone! I eat when I'm bored. I eat when I'm happy. I eat when I'm sad. Heck, I eat through the stomach flu and 9 mos of morning sickness.

I've found 2 strategies that work: replace the munchies with lower, healthier alternatives or take a walk. The reason why they don't work for me is that I still choose the chocolate.
Old February 19th, 2009, 01:12 AM

Rickvdl is on a distinguished road

Of course I'm no expert, as I'm a single student living in a student house, but I'll give some suggestions:

I think the main problem is that you have chocolate in the house. Try to replace them with healthier snacks (fruits, fruit biscuits, etc). I never have any snacks around because I know I'll eat way too much of it (although it's not emotional eating in my case).

If you do not want to get those sweets out of the house (I guess your children like those too), try to find some sort of "punishment" if you find yourself eating some. Maybe you can get your husband or children in on this: every time you eat something bad, they get something, or you get something less.
Old February 20th, 2009, 11:12 AM

Beth will become famous soon enough

HHH, your cravings may not be entirely emotional or age related. Low endorphins can cause sugar and fat foods cravings. Chocolate and fatty foods trigger endorphin release in your brain which will bring on a sense of euphoria. Exercise and sex do the same thing.

Low serotonin levels can make you crave sugar. Crackers, frozen yogurt and popcorn may help and have less calories than alternatives.

Low dopamine may make you feel brain "foggy". Lean meats help.

Your hormones levels can certainly be causing some of this. And there is a clear link between low thyroid function and depression.

And food allergies such as wheat can cause mood changes. Eating good quality foods while eliminating offending foods will go a long way toward improving mood.

And sunshine increases serotonin levels. Seasonal Affective Disorder is caused by a lack of serotonin due to lack of sunlight. My DH has this and every Winter he gets slightly depressed. He has to sit in the sun every day for at least 15 minutes, and it helps greatly.

I think it would really help if you could get outside and walk briskly 20 minutes, 5 days a week. Get some sun, breathe some fresh air. Take a bubble bath. Have a date night with your SO. Don't forget to take time to care for yourself. Women usually are so busy taking care of everyone else, they forget about themselves and get down in a rut. And don't forget to laugh. Rent some comedy movies to watch to get those endorphins moving.

Take care of yourself.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 11:20 PM

jennismortal is on a distinguished road

Sometimes the strongest longings for food happen when you're at your weakest point emotionally. Many people turn to food for comfort — consciously or unconsciously — when they're facing a difficult problem or looking to keep themselves occupied. But emotional eating — eating as a way to suppress or soothe negative emotions, such as stress, anger, anxiety, boredom, sadness and loneliness — can sabotage your weight-loss efforts. Often, emotional eating leads to eating too much food, especially high-calorie, sweet, salty and fatty foods. The good news is that if you're prone to emotional eating, you can take steps to regain control of your eating habits and get back on track with your weight-loss goals.
Old May 25th, 2009, 03:37 AM

jennismortal is on a distinguished road

COMFORT FOOD…. Even a lot of raw foodists eat excessive amounts of raw cocoa and fat. Raw ice cream is being sold commerically now. We should ask ourselves: “Just because it’s raw, does that mean it is healthy?”

Anxiety therapy technique without medications
Old May 25th, 2009, 03:47 AM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

What is "raw" icecream?
Old May 26th, 2009, 08:22 AM

girlblue21 is on a distinguished road

I am a lifetime member of weight watchers!!! I love it because i can REALLY eat whatever i want i just have to have portion control...which can be really hard...I have the same problem sometimes with eating because i'm bored or because i had a bad day....but what helps me is to find something to occupy myself like cleaning up around the house, going for a walk, even watching a movie can keep your mind off eating...

Hope this helps!!
Closed Thread