Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Health and Wellness > Weight Loss/Exercise

Weight Loss/Exercise Discuss issues related to Weight Loss and Exercise

Closed Thread

Old October 3rd, 2009, 01:55 PM

Blue Skies will become famous soon enough
I Need Motivation, or a kick in the pants

Well I started off with a bangÖbut now the enthusiasm level has started to wane. Iím still with the personal trainer two times a week, but Iíve slacked off on the exercising at home. H E L P ! ! ! Plus, Iím the worst in the class!! (At least I think soÖnot that thatís going to stop me Ė I just want to be at the level most everyone else is.) I canít seem to do the exercises for the full minute (yes, I said minute believe it or not). I do it for as long as I can, then take a few second break, and try it again. The second time around the circuit is even worse!

Does anyone have any tricks that can help? What keeps you motivated? Plus, I need a kick in the pants to get on a better eating program, not that what I eat is that bad, but I know I can improve. Broiled fish and steamed broccoli anyone?
Old October 3rd, 2009, 03:38 PM

Brownie is on a distinguished road
Re: I Need Motivation, or a kick in the pants

I'm not sure what kind of exercises you're doing so this hint might not apply... Maybe if you reduce your intensity or speed (depending on the exercise) you could go the whole minute. For example, if you're doing jumping jacks, instead of doing 60 in a minute, do 30. Or if you're stepping, instead of jumping on the step, walk on the step. For me, it is more motivating to participate the entire time, rather than take rest breaks. The exercise will get easier.

I'm having difficulty with motivation myself. I've been the most successful when I exercise first thing in the morning. That way very little can get in the way.

Being a numbers person, keeping "stats" helps motivate me. For example, I track my exercise time and keep a food journal that includes calories. This helps me see my gaps in exercise and my excesses in food. I also track weight and blood pressure weekly. Cholesterol and glucose semi-annually.

Changing eating habits is very hard. About 6 weeks ago DH decided he wanted to lose some weight so he enrolled in a program. That has really been helpful. One of the things he's suppose to eat is fish. I've never been a fish fan but to help him I bought some orange roughy from Costco. Shock of all shocks...I really like it! I also started making vegetable salad that does not include lettuce. We like cauliflower, red cabbage, zucchini, cucumber, bell peppers, endame, green beens, celery, carrots, tomatoes, etc. We add our favorite dressing.

Stay with your program...You are worth it!
Old October 3rd, 2009, 03:58 PM

Thanks Brownie!

I do a lot of shopping at Costco and buy salmon (fresh) and talapia (frozen) there. I've never had orange roughy, but I think I might try it. Is it frozen or fresh? How did you prepare it? I eat a lot of salads and include other vegetables as well, but it is predoninately romaine lettuce. Good idea to boost up the vegetable content. My big problem is the dressing - I like everything to be 'evenly coated', if you kwim . I've cut back on it, but don't enjoy the salad as well.

The exercises I'm having trouble with are the squats, the crunches, the sit ups. She, the trainer, goes beyond the basics and has us do 'medicine ball crunches' (on your back, legs up and crossed, 4 lb. medicine ball in your hands, then C R U N C H), and wall squats (where you remain in the squat position with your back against the wall, as low as you can go for one minute). After about 30 seconds on the wall squat, my knees start to hurt and tremble and my legs feel as if they're going to give out. I do push it for as long as I can, but found myself making all kinds of noises (grunts, moans, etc.) until I had to straighten up for a few seconds. The stuff like jogging in place, running up and down the stairs I can manage.

I also need motivation to exercise at home. After work, preparing dinner, doing homework, etc. - I just don'thave the motivation. I know once I start, it's fine. It's just getting my body over to the eliptical that I have trouble with.

Thanks for the encouragement!!!
Old October 3rd, 2009, 06:21 PM

Brownie is on a distinguished road

The orange roughy is frozen. After thawing and drying it, we grilled on the stove with a pinch of Lawry's seasoning. (We like very plain, simple food.) Do you use low fat or no fat dressings? Also, it is amazing what a little basalmic vinagar and olive oil can do. The basalmic flavor goes a long way. (I like Costco's Basalmic.) I like my fresh veggies well coated, too. If you like beans (back, red, garbanzo, etc.), they give you lots of protein and you can skip meat entirely. (I'm not a vegaterian but I don't mind skipping meat once in a while.)

Maybe when you do the wall squat, don't go "as low as you can go". Work to lower the squat as time goes on. (I know these are a killer.) Maybe skip the 4# medicine ball when you're doing crunches or drop it half way through. (Have you done jump squats? It's amazing how simple these are yet they kick my ***!)

Is there anyway you can do your ellipitcal first thing in the am? You might be surprised at the extra energy you have through out the day. It might be worth getting up early. My problem with the elliptical was the noise factor as DH does not like to wake up at 4:30 am. I usually watch TV/DVD and the volume needs to be very loud so I can hear it. I finally invested in earphones and while the cord was a pain, now that I've figured that out it works.

I know how hard it can be to make it to the equipment....I don't always make it myself.

Perservere! What is hard is good for you!
Old October 8th, 2009, 11:29 AM

I really liked your idea - in theory - of doing the eliptical first thing in the morning and have actually set my alarm 30 minutes earlier this past week just to get up and do this. However, each morning as the alarm rang at 6am, I hit the snooze button . I like being up early, but I don't like getting up early .

And yes, we've done jump squats! I kinda like them - although I'm not very good at any of them - meaning the squats.

Thanks again, for the encourgement, Brownie. I'm not having a good work-out week this week - missed class last night due to a PTA commitment, and it's unlikely I'll be able to get two classes in this week as work has me busy this week and weekend with a harvest festival that we run each year. At least I'll be outside, 'running' around, hauling heavy objects and hiking back and forth between buildings for 12 hours both Saturday and Sunday...so I guess I'll call it even !
Old October 8th, 2009, 10:22 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

I'll give you encouragement, Blue Skies, but I'm a huge hypocrite for doing so.

Go Pot Go!!

~ Signed, The Kettle
Old October 9th, 2009, 07:16 AM

Oh KayKay, you're too funny. Thanks for the laugh - I really needed it!
Old November 3rd, 2009, 12:28 PM

Well the challenge is over....I didn't go to the last class - the weigh in! Poor DS was sick with a fever and a dry cough, (good excuse....but true!). Plus, I knew I didn't lose any weight (are you kidding....weigh-in after Halloween!!!!). I may have lost some inches - but it's negligible. I didn't sign up for another 6 weeks since it's just too busy at work now until after the holidays - BUT, we are in the process of turning the 'play-room' into the 'exercise-room'.

And I'm still trying to get up at 6am to do the eliptical...should be easier now with daylight savings time and all...... We'll see......
Old November 3rd, 2009, 02:40 PM

Lizzie will become famous soon enough

Hi Blueskies
If its any consolation I need motivation too....cant resist that bar of chocolate!

My friend has shamed me into joining her in the morning and we walk a fair bit.

Every day has been raining and cold since we started!! Tomorrow we are off again!!

At least its easier when you have company
Old November 4th, 2009, 10:57 AM

I wish I could join you, Lizzie! It definitely helps to have a warm blooded, two legged motivator!
Closed Thread